Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a step mom required to do ?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am in a few step parenting groups on here but I wanted to get opinions from ladies who aren't step moms. My husband has two kids , each from a different woman. My step daughter is 9 , my step son is 13. They don't come very often , but when they do , of course I'm the one babysitting. And yes I think it's babysitting because they're not my children. I don't have a bond with them & considering how often I see them , I don't think I ever will.

Now my question is , what do you think are the responsibilities of a step mother? Remember these children already have 2 parents that can care for them , do they really need a third?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ganfield_c
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM

i think just being there for them if they need it is best. dont try to push anything on them. be your self and be there for them.

twin girls  expecting baby

Wicklesscents
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:12 PM

It is really hard to be a step parent.  I have been a stepmom to my husbands 8 year old son since he was 2.  But we have custody of him so that does make it easier.  He goes and visits his mom every summer! His mom babies him so when he comes home he acts like a baby! People don't understand unless they have been there! It would be harder if he didn't live with us or a older age!!  Hope everything turns out okay!!

Take care and message me if you want to chat!!

Rachel Piper
Independent Scentsy Director
www.wicklesscentedcandles.com
Marvelous Moon Beams Team

KYChica
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I get that part , I'm talking more along the lines for taking care of them.

Quoting ganfield_c:

i think just being there for them if they need it is best. dont try to push anything on them. be your self and be there for them.

pearee
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Well I'm sorry maybe I'm taking this the wrong way but your whole outlook on this is exactly why you will never have a relationship with your step children. To me it sounds like you don't want one... "What is a step mom REQUIRED to do?"  Basically you're not REQUIRED to do anything.

Mommy2_two
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:15 PM

You take care of them like you would your own children.

hnwyman
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:16 PM

My parents divorced when I was 2 so now I grew up with a stepmom at my dad's and a stepdad at my mom's.  They are my parents too.  My stepdad took the same responsibilities as my father and my stepmom took the same responsibilities as my mom. 

Rychelle

well i have a step mom and a step dad and they have both treated me as their child and they are just like my parents to me..  so in my case it was never like babysitting when i was with them.. we have a bond like parent child.. and i think its wonderful that way. i never found that having more loving parents was ever a bad thing 

MaddiesMaMa418

I agree with pearee and mommy2two (sorry if I butchered that s/n)

haleyleedy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:17 PM

I am a step mom I  treat my sd as my own. It takes a village to raise a child not just 2 people children need all the love they can get.

pregnancy

Sick of the Drama in other Pregnancy groups ??  Join Me at Pregnancy Support- NO DRAMA

http://www.cafemom.com/group/94049

kris1975
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM

I was raised the same way.  That's how it is with my boys.  It's just the way things are in our family.  Children are children.  Doesn't matter whose DNA they have.

Quoting Rychelle:

well i have a step mom and a step dad and they have both treated me as their child and they are just like my parents to me..  so in my case it was never like babysitting when i was with them.. we have a bond like parent child.. and i think its wonderful that way. i never found that having more loving parents was ever a bad thing 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)