Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I love my kids, but Do I *really* wanna be with my kids 24/7/365???(not really)

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM
  • 10 Replies

In light of the SAHM vs WM debates, it gets me to thinking.................I came in as a working mom with myself and DH being in the military.......................financially it dont workout for one of us to not work because a family really cant get it on obe militayr income...............(we were like this before DH wend Active duty)

with that being said, I love my kids, I will do anything for them.....but for me???Honestly, I cannot be with them 24/7..............................I seriously think I would have a serius breakdown just because I'd have to deal with constant crying, constant crying, fighting (yes my 18 month old and my 8 month old fights with each other- seriously!!!)........................... I dont think I'd be able to handle it

And also in light of the other post asking wehre my kids are all day- my unit does not operate on a 9-5, Monday thru Friday, weekends off, so I work extremely random this is why I am on the computer right now typing this................the time I know I am not working for the day, I do drop off my kids at daycare, because Im paying full price anyway, and I do want my money worthand use that time to cook clean, and do the chores in the home without distraction so when the kids do come home theres nothing else for me to do but give my undivided attention.............

The weekends I DO get off, I operate like some of the SAHM's have said: I wake up early, feed both kids, clean, cook, get rest, one child wakes up, play with them, then the other wakes up, I chase them around, change diapers, read (my DD LOVES TO READ) do her hair for Sunday, feed them dinner, bathe them, and place them to bed..........................

So with all of this being said: I am very humble that SAHM's do what they do.............children love to egt attention 24 hoyrs a day and are always wanting and needing, and need constant caring BIG KUDOS TO YOU MOMS SERIOUSLYhugs...... because the rare weekends I do have off and Im with them, I'm pulling hair............................

I love them, but I dunno if I could hang 24/7/365

*dunno if this would cause any bashing or make me look like a "neglectful" parent but Im a big gurl, i can take it*

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Good for you for being honest! I am with my kids 24/7- we're homeschoolers AND they go to work with me. So I'm a little insane! LOL But you know what? It's really not for everyone. Love your kids, take care of them and most of all ENJOY it!  That's the best you can do.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM

well ty lol..  i love having my babies home..  they are on track break from school right now and i  always look forward to it!!   its too quiet when they arent here.  ive always wanted them around me all day though...  i cried when they started school lol...  

but hey you work and still do the mom thing... you rock too ya know

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:17 PM

I can't relate I LOVE being with my DS all the time other than school and a few hrs a week that i spend away from him at work .. we are never apart. He has been babysat MAYBE 10 times in 9 years.At one time i was a SAHM ... I LOVED IT!!... I was with him 24/7 for 5 years.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM

My kids can drive my crazy, but I love being a SAHM.  We make a lot of sacrifices for me to be here.  I made a lot of personal sacrifices to be here.  I feel it is my job as a mother to be here, and do what I fell is best for my kids.  I understand why some people do not want to do it. It is very easy to lose yourself when you become a SAHM, some people have a hard time with that.

Good on you for being honest.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I agree with you.  I was a SAHM for about a year when my younger was born until I opened my business, now I work very part time, but I am looking for another job too.  I am lucky that I got to do it, now I work opposite shifts of hubby so one of us is home with them, or they have to come to our store for a few hours with the overlap.  I got a little depressed staying at home all the time, I really felt as though I lost a little of myself as a person, because I was always very involved with my job.  It's tough talking to a 2year old and a newborn all day.  VERY challenging.  Now they are 3 and 11m, and I am glad to be looking for work.  To be able to think a full thought without being interrupted is a beautiful thing.  I like to participate in the adult world, and I enjoy my days with them so much more.  and I miss them so much when I work, ironic, I know!

Anyone that wants to say I don't appreciate my kids is so completely wrong.  I need a little "me" to be the best mom I can be.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I only have a 6 month old and at times she makes me want to pull my hair out! I put her in her play pen and walk away. When I come back her happy little smile melts my heart. She really is a good baby most of the time but right now she is having HUGE separation anxiety because her daddy is in the NAVY and comes home for a week and she get used to him being around and then he leaves for a few weeks. She is having a really hard time when I leave the room now too but I don't think I need to take her everywhere I go.  I'm just lost the other thing that really gets me is when I do pick her up when she is having a hard time she lays her head on my shoulder and sighs and just hugs me. Makes me cry!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

If I had one of those silly smiley faces that applauds, I would post it here.  I'm the same way.  I work b/c financially I have to, but also b/c I love my job.  And I, too, would go insane, much as I adore my daughters.  I treasure every moment I have with them, but spending all day with them wouldn't work for me.

I'm fortunate that I have family nearby who watch the girls during the day (except for morning preschool for my 3 year old), so I know they're being cared for by those who raised me and my husband.

You're not a neglectful parent by any means.  You're a mom who loves her kids and knows her limitations and is honest enough to say so.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I am a SAHM, but am not with my kids 24/7/365. I have a MIL who loves to have them stay the night and takes them out to the movies and such.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:24 PM

I was a SAHM until recently (due to our financial circumstances) and I really miss it.  My husband is great at giving me a break when I need it so I didn't ever feel stressed.  We are all different and we do what we need to do so don't feel bad about your choices.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM

im a sahm just because i just had a baby, but honestly i do lose my mind (i hide it form my DH) but i do. but as soon as i can am going back to work! im not a bad mom but a 2y/o and a 3month old is alot of work when my DH barley helps me out he is in the milltary too and its hard. so as a sahm i  do go crazy!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)