Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with a puppy

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do any of you ladies have any ideas on how to train a puppy. We have a 4 month old puggle who sometimes pees and poops outside but, then has at least 4 accidents a day in the house. SHe also loves to bite because she is teething. I need help with her quick. I just cant take it anymore

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shilog
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM

take her outside and wait for her to go.. bitter apple spray for the nipping.....just be consistance (sp)  good luck

Shilog
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:27 PM

bump

OfTheFaIIen
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:28 PM
Take her outside first thing in the morning and after every meal and nap. There are sprays you can use to deter them from weeing in the house too. If shes teething give her a frozen wet rag to chew on and never let her get your hands if you can help it. When she nips your hands just give her a very stern look and say "no". If you still have issues with chewing or biting use some bitter apple spray, it seems to work really well.

Truth can be found if only you would see it.

ktwister
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Crate training when you are not around to supervisor her.   The crate shouldn't be too big, she should have enough room to stand, lay down and turn.  They will not mess in the spot they have to lay down in.

Take her out about every 45 minutes and bring treats with you, when she goes potty give her a treat right away and lots of praise.  If you wait to give a dog a treat when they come in they think they got it for coming in, they already forgot they went potty. 

Do not punish her if she has an accident again, she forgot what she even did.

Biting- She's teething and it's only natural for them to chew.  If she begins to bite give her a toy. When you see her chewing her toy, again give her a treat and reward her for biting her toy.

Debbie233
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I am in the same boat as you.  I have a puppy we think is 3 months old.  We take him out after he eats, plays alot, when he wakes up from his nap.   We stay out till he does his stuff.   We take him to the same place everytime to do his stuff.   He does still pee in the house sometimes, but nothing like before.   We keep taking him to the same door every time we take him out.   So now when he has to go he goes right to the door.   If he has a accident it is usually at the door bc we are to late at taking him out.    Best of luck to you,

AutumnTucker
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM

my mom uses puppy pads when her dogs are little then takes them out first thing in the morning and about every hour especially right after she feeds them..  They work great.. he raises dogs and her house dogs never mess on her floor.. so it must work.. they will hold it all day..

magenta2325
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:32 PM

When my dog was a puppy we would take her outside every hour and like every two in the night or crate her at night. We just got a puppy last weekend and we have been taking it outside but she has had accidents in the house so I am going to start taking her more frequently. Eventually she will just go out with the big dog.

dragonfly24
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM

ok it gets long

you have to control her environment.

this is how i train puppies starting at 6 weeks adjust as your schedule fits

First thing in the morning I take them out. When they are old enough to not start peeing as soon as i put them down I start teaching them how to tell me they need to go out. I tap on my door and get them excited by saying "outside" and when the jump on the door I praise the heck out of them. I stay with them until i know they go.

breakfast-feed give drinks and immediatly take back outside

take up all food and water -little dogs and puppies need to be fed at least 3 - 4 times a day

mid morning put down water let them drink their fill and then take them outside again and make sure they all go.

inbetween feedings the little ones are in a play pen while the older ones go to a crate or they all can be outside if the weather is good.

continue with same schedule with other feedings

bedtime go out one more time and then everyone goes to "bed" for the night and it starts all over again the next day.

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

maxwellhouse
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Crate training when you're not around is totally one of the best ways to go. Put some of those puppy pee pads down in her crate and slowly move them closer to the door that you would take her out to go outside. This way, it helps her get the idea that if she is going to do it in the house, then this is where she needs to do it. When you are home, take her out as much as possible so that she understands that outside is where you need to do your business. Our female boxer didn't develope properly because her parents were inbred and she has a very very small bladder. She's 2 and still has accidents in the house. Its all about knowing your dog and then learning what works best for the two of you. We crate trained her and it worked wonderfully. But we also trained her with the pee pads and so she at least knows that if she MUST go in the house, then to do it in front of the front door. We haven't had an accident for a long time, but we know that we need to let her out much more often than our male boxer. Good luck with this!

andrew1262000
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Thanks ladies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)