Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not sure what to think about what my daughter learned at school...

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM
  • 182 Replies

Shandy is out sick from school today. Well she was drawing, and wrote "Jesus is the only reason we celebrate Christmas." So I was thinking about it and asked where she learned it from, and apparently her teacher told her that. It's okay with me, because I believe that too, but I just found it odd that they would be teaching that in school, what with the separation of church and state issues. Also, during their Christmas program, they sang a song about Jesus. Again, ok with me, but what would you think?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM

as a non christian mom I would NOT be ok with that and would be on the phone with that teacher real fast!

chopped headBecky

Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer!

mammak
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM

this is a public school? Thats not ok.

deeder79
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I'm a Christian, but I don't think that Jesus/Religion should be talked about in school other than in History class...if even then.  :)

momtoamo
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I am not christian.  If my child came home saying this, I would simple tell him some people believe this, some do not.  Christmas did start as celebrating Christ, so she was not lying.  I do not get mad, I just try to inform my kids of other options as well.

l

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM

to me it is fine..our kids sang songs with jesus in the at the program.. I loved it..

haleyleedy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM

My stepdaughter had a christmas play a couple weeks ago she goes to public school and every song was about jesus and merry christmas . I believe that but I still thought it was odd

pregnancy

Sick of the Drama in other Pregnancy groups ??  Join Me at Pregnancy Support- NO DRAMA

http://www.cafemom.com/group/94049

raegansmom

Seperation of church & state is a myth. 

xRileysMomx

That is pretty weird that the teacher told her that. Maybe it was something the teacher only discussed with her? Like maybe you DD asked her why we have Christmas and that's the answer she gave her? And the thing about the Christmas program...was it called a "Christmas" program or a "holiday" program? If it was a holiday program, then I would say it wasn't right, but if its a "christmas" program then I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Are you a server/bartender? Want a place to let it all out? Join my group!!

www.cafemom.com/group/servinmamas

chaneldakota

I would think she has a smart teacher who sticks to her beliefs! This whole separation of church/school is crazy. We are hoping that by the time our daughter is old enough to go to school things are better financially so she can go to private school and be taught a more well rounded education like we were taught!

cracklinbread
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I know the law says seperation of church and state but as a chrisian mom I feel they teach a lot of things I do not believe in so why should I care if they teach on occasion something that others do not believe in.  After all Christmas is a holiday originally based on the birth of Jesus.  How do you have a christmas play without mentioning him?  It aint all about Santa!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)