Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone used a harness for their child?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM
  • 59 Replies

On Friday Dh is coming home. So our son and I will be going to pick him up at the airport. He's 14 months old and VERY active. He wont sit in his stroller for more than like 15 minutes unless we are moving constantly. I have seen those harnesses at Wal-Mart and I was wondering if anyone has used them and if so how did you like it? I wouldn't use it normally but I have heard that there are supposed to be a few delays because of weather so I'm afraid we will be there for a while and he will be screaming his head off. He also will not hold my hand for more than a few seconds. Any tips or advice?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessPynk
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM

I used a harness for my oldest son who is now 7 and I also use one with my 3 year old in crowded places.  They are fantastic!!! My kids liked wearing them too!!

Happy Holidays Snowmen...

prego7386
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM

i have seen the ones that look like little animal backpacks and are more cushy looking. id get one of those.  i was against the "harness thing" too but i thought about the fact that my husband is in the military and we travel alot...we have been to the airport 2 times this month alone and looking around i thought that it would be a good idea to have one of the harneses there. i will get one and use it at the airport i think its a good idea but im not going to use it all of the time.

wiener
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I used to use one, my son has outgrown it now, I loved it, he loved it and it worked great.  Just a FYI this post is more then like going to turn to drama.   Just do what you think is best for your child and ignore what others think, your the mother and you know best

Nicole
ilovemylilboyz
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I have not but, I have really been thinking about it.  My two year old will not sit in the shopping cart.  He has to sit in the bucket part since I have a 10 month old and the 2 year old always tries to jump out.  It is getting really frustrating.  When I do let him out he darts off. 

bethandbabies26

I personally don't like the idea of putting a leash on a child...but my SIL uses one, and it worked until my nephew learned how to get out of it! They are smart little boogers!

NikkiPhoenix

I used it for my son when he was 18 months old.  We were traveling by plan during Thanksgiving week.  It was a lifesafer at the airport, when our plane was delayed.  He could walk about and I didn't have to worry about him running off or getting stepped on.  No one ever looks when they walk in the airport!

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

"One who is blinded by faith, walks into walls." -My DH

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
Lauriemom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I use one for my younger DD (3) and it is a great invention!!  Last summer she was so prone to wandering off, and my oldest DD is as well, so since I cannot put a harness on my 11 year old (LOL) I used it on my 3 year old. 

I would caution you to be watchful that it does not get tangled (the "tail" or "leash") because then your lilttle one could trip and fall

GL

Laurie

nanaT2

There has been a lot of posts and bashing about it. I used wrist ones, and dd uses the monkey looking one. It' a personal choice. all I can say is that I was thankful to have them. my gbaby likes hers. You might consider taking both the stroller and a harness, sippy cup and a few small toys. Your right, it could be a long wait.

rag_dollmom

I am buying one this weekend; my little one is 13 months and all over the place!!!!

mysonismyjoy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM

nope. I always give my 3 yr old two options... hold my hand and don't let go, or sit in your stroller. I have a 4 mo. old as well, but have never needed a harness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)