Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

seclusion rooms????

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:25 PM
  • 2 Replies

Read this article and let me know what you think....It would be a bad day if this happened to my special needs child..

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/17/seclusion.rooms/index.html

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
DixieFlower
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM

That article absolutely blew my mind. I work for an agency that has a public school for special needs children. NEVER have I ever heard of or seen a seclusion room being used. We have protocol in place for when a child is really having a rough day occasionally that will require staff to use CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) However all staff are trained in this and have annual refresher courses.  Depending on the technique used staff are required to do an incident report stating what occurred, what staff did, and the effect afterwards. This is reviewed by a committee to make sure appropriate action was taken. I can't imagine leaving a child that is having a breakdown in a cement room alone with the window blocked off. That is insane.

Pregnancy ticker

thebestbrianne
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Wow, that is terrible. I know if I ever had a need to send my child to a special school I would make sure I was able to look over the entire place and check the qualifications of the teachers.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)