Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On average, how much do you spend on family pictures?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was just curious as to how much you moms spend on family pictures. We have an appointment on Sunday night to get them and I was just curious. I've never gotten family pictures done before.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshlor2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:10 PM

depends on where you get them done, and if they do a good job...i have gone places that didn't do such a good job and i only bought the one or two poses that turned out good but them i have been places that did so good i was overwhelmed picking pictures

Becca030507
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I take my own and print them out at Costco!  So it dosn't cost me maybe 10 dollars for pictures!!

hnwyman
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I don't pay anything, my stepdad is a photographer so he does them all for free.  I'm not too shabby with a camera either, so I have never gone to someone else to take our pictures.  My stepdad charges $50-$300 for pictures for clients though!  Wayyyyy too much!!!

SunnyJoJo
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:14 PM

We only pay the money to print them out. Like we took our family picture on my mom's couch in front of the bear rug. or our Christmas photo is in front of the tree. They turn out just as nice and we don't have to go anywhere.

IowaMommie
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM

I love, love, LOVE my photographer!  She's been taking our pictures for over a year now and they turn out awesome!  For ours your can either get them by the package or by the picture.  For example, 5 by 7s are $18 a piece, 8 by 10s are $24 I believe, 4 by 6s are $12.  Then you can buy as many pictures as you want in as many different poses are you want.  She can also do black and white, or different color things to them.  We usually leave with about 10 sizes, all in different poses, for an average of $130, pretty cheap here....and she doesn't charge a sitting fee and she usually takes up to 100 photos a sitting, weeds out the bad ones before we see them (like closed eyes) and then we weed them down from there and she'll travel for free if you want them taken outside (otherwise her studio is in her house).  If you go to my page there are some on there that she's taken, including my background.  She does a kick-ass job.  But it really depends on where you go, if they take good pictures or not, sitting fees, how many you get, etc.

Cass_Michelle
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Where we're going there is no sitting fee and it's $18 a sheet. 8 wallets a sheet, 5 4x6's a sheet, 2 5x7's a sheet, then 1 8x10 a sheet and 1 10x13 a sheet. Then I have a coupon for 15% off and a free 8x10 or 1013. We're doing family pictures, newborn pictures, and pictures with the dog all in one sitting.

Quoting IowaMommie:

I love, love, LOVE my photographer!  She's been taking our pictures for over a year now and they turn out awesome!  For ours your can either get them by the package or by the picture.  For example, 5 by 7s are $18 a piece, 8 by 10s are $24 I believe, 4 by 6s are $12.  Then you can buy as many pictures as you want in as many different poses are you want.  She can also do black and white, or different color things to them.  We usually leave with about 10 sizes, all in different poses, for an average of $130, pretty cheap here....and she doesn't charge a sitting fee and she usually takes up to 100 photos a sitting, weeds out the bad ones before we see them (like closed eyes) and then we weed them down from there and she'll travel for free if you want them taken outside (otherwise her studio is in her house).  If you go to my page there are some on there that she's taken, including my background.  She does a kick-ass job.  But it really depends on where you go, if they take good pictures or not, sitting fees, how many you get, etc.

MiasMama123
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Well, for our family Christmas cards, we took the pics ourselves with the timer, I edited them for free at picnik.com, and I sent them in to Snapfish and got 20 photo cards for 20 cents.  I paid like $6.95 all together for shipping and handling.

Sarah993
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM

We go to Portrait Innovations and we LOVE are pictures every year (okay so two years in a row)  We actually live two hours away from the closet one and chose to drive there instead of going somewhere else.  We usually spend about $120 all together with us taking home about 5 different poses free cd with the pictures on it plus a few freebies that they throw in if you buy so many.  We've never paid a sitting fee but I heard that they have sitting fees depending on how many people and how many poses you buy.  But the price anywhere will depend on how good of a job they do b/c if they don't turn out good you arent' going to want a lot and if they are really good you are going to want a lot.

daylens_mommy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:41 PM

5 dollars. i got to sears and i get a coupon in the mail every month. so thats how i pay for my pictures. lol.

bergmom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM

For Christmas pictures this year, we spent $180, but that's for 6 kids (my 2, my sister's 2 and my brother's 2) and my mom splits the cost. We do it at Easter, too, so yes, we're insane! My mom and I take 6 kids, between the ages of 9 and 5, dress them up, and have about 7 or 8 different poses taken.  It's a long, LONG day! LOL But it's worth it because the photos are always awesome- of course, it helps that they're all so cute that it's impossible to take a bad photo of them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)