Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd's dad was murdered and she wont get social security

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:33 PM
  • 12 Replies

My oldest daughters father was murdered on Nov. 21st of this year. I was told to apply for Social Security even though i had no idea what it was. Since then i have found out and I was told that she is not eligable for it. Here's why, he went to prison in 2002 (he was 17), he got out in Dec. of 2006! Even though he would have been out for almost 2 years he never kept a job for long and so they told me that my dd would not get any benefits. I'm not sure if there is anything i can do about this, i guess i'm not to upset because i didnt know about it in the first place and I have raised her pretty much alone anyways, i just would have been nice to know that there is money set aside for her for college, or a car when shes older or what ever she needs. If anyone knows please let me know.

She's doing well considering what happened. I really just want ppl to know that he was a true Thug/Gangster and That lifstyle isn't worth it!   He left NOTHING behing for her. He was so selfish by what he was doing that he took one of the most important thing away from her (so did the person who commited the horrible act).......her Daddy......

Im not trying to make him sound like a bad person he just mad some bad choices and hung around the wrong ppl.  We will miss you Duke!

R.I.P. Joshua Seals 1982-2008

Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want does NOT mean that they don't love you with all they have!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:36 PM

wow that really sucks.. I have no idea what ya can do but here is a bump fir ya so mayne someone else will see this that might know more about it..

eddysmommy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:36 PM

bump

Cass_Michelle
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:38 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. My dad passed away when I was 20 and my sister was 17. Since I was over the age of 18, I didn't get any social security. My sister however got it until she turned 18. I guess I'm not much help. Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
3gurlsmom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:41 PM

unfortunately, you can't do much. My husband gets a letter every couple of months and it tells us how much he'd get from social security for disability, at retirement, if he were to pass...how much his kids and I would get. It sounds like ure ex didn't pay much into the Social Security, without having a job, so he's not getting anything out. even though it's not for him, by keeping a job and paying into the Social Security program, ure securing, not really securing because it's hardly enough to get by, but more like helping your and/or your family if anything were to happen. If he didn't put anything into it, he shouldn't get anything out. Don't mean to sound cold or blunt, that's just the way it is. I'm glad ure DD isn't too bad about it. Hope you and her are good and stay good.

3girls79762
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:45 PM

The only way ur dd would get ss checks is if he held a job. On everyone's check stubb the with hold taxes and ss is one that the with hold. U get the taxes back every year but u only gets ss if u are unable to work or u pass away then the kids get it. My cousin had to get ss for her kids after her baby daddy was murdered last year. She only gets $1100 a month for 5 kids. But his he couldn't hold a job then most likely she won't get no money. Sorry but maybe their is someone in the legal system that could help. Good luck and sorry for ur dd. I couldn't ever imagine

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:45 PM

That's true my sister's sister in law got pregnant by a gang member, he was dead before the baby came, shot in the neighborhood 15 times.  He never had an actual job because drug dealing and robbery aren't tax paying professions so she gets nothing.  My sister loves to date this type of guy her kids father is a drug dealer by trade ( we, her very upstanding christian family are so proud of her choice) so when she filed for child support they told her they can't help her because he never has a job.  Ladies take notes bad boys are for dating, not for marrying or having kids with, you end up with nothing in the end.  I wish you luck, it's hard out there with two parents that support kids, let alone one.  My sister is lucky because she has a family that can help her, I hope you have a good support system as well.

mom2Bellarose
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your DD's dad :(

I know a little bit about SS because my sister n law was murdered in 2003 and left behind her 7 year old daughter. Anyways she does receive SS benefits from her mother because it is based on the years of work that her mom put into working. Once a year I get a statement from social security telling me how much my family would receive every month if something happened to me. If your daughters dad never really worked to pay in any taxes to social security then there isn't any benefits to give to his kids. Also if my nieces dad ever got a job they would take the benefits away so he just sits home collecting my sis in laws SS and spends it on his drugs... nice huh.

I am truly sorry that your daughter isn't going to get anything :( but at least she still has her Momma that loves and takes care of her :)

twinzplusmor
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM

i dont know much about social security but my uncle passed away this past february. his youngest daughter is 11. she is not eligible for social security from him b/c her mom got remarried when they got divorced like 5 years ago.

im really sorry for what your going through. good luck with things.

Photobucket

cstyle99
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Awww That Sucks!  Sorry to hear about all that!  Hope things work out for you!

green ribbon~Mommy to Danielle Living with Kidney Disease~    

jen_jen7
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Quoting twinzplusmor:

i dont know much about social security but my uncle passed away this past february. his youngest daughter is 11. she is not eligible for social security from him b/c her mom got remarried when they got divorced like 5 years ago.

im really sorry for what your going through. good luck with things.

the daughter should still be eligable for benifits a couple of friends of mine's moms passed away and their dads remarried and the kids still got benefits till 18

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)