Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was I too hard on him?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:12 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was helping my 6 1/2 year old with his shower. When I was walking from the hall to the bathroom, I see my 9 year old running to his room with his mouth just stuffed full! I ask him what are you eating and he doesnt answer, so I ask again,  this time more seriously..he says bacon. He went into the kitchen and snatched it off the counter and ate it without asking. We just had pancakes and bacon for dinner about 15 minutes before this. So I asked why he took it, he said he was hungry. I said why didnt he ask, he said because i wasn't around. I said you couldnt wait, and he said nothing. I said why didnt you ask at dinner for more, and he said i was full (15 minutes ago?!). So I lectured him and told him in my eyes just taking it was the same as stealing, I would have given it to him, but I found it disrespectful to have just taken it. I might have been using it for something else, he didn't know. I told him I didnt like what he did and he cried. I wasn't yelling, just using my regular talking voice, but i think he was embarassed which is why he cried. anyways, was i too hard on him? idk, i just dont think the kids at these ages, should have free reign over the food and to counter surf just yet, though i'm not sure what age i feel is appropriate to do this either. but not 9...thoughts?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TinaMarie72
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I think you were right to reprimand him and explain how things work in the house.  Next time he may think twice.  The issue wasn't that you wouldn't feed him more, he just needs to wait, ask, and eat properly...not stuff and run.  Kids will act that way and cry when they feel guilty because they know what they did was wrong.  It'll be ok.

4cuteboys
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM

EXACTLY! it wasnt taking the bacon at all, i dont care because iwould have thrown it away and honestly i would have rather one of the kids ate it! it was just what you said! the principal was the behavior was wrong in my eyes, i just felt bad after when he cried, aww lol

Quoting TinaMarie72:

I think you were right to reprimand him and explain how things work in the house.  Next time he may think twice.  The issue wasn't that you wouldn't feed him more, he just needs to wait, ask, and eat properly...not stuff and run.  Kids will act that way and cry when they feel guilty because they know what they did was wrong.  It'll be ok.

TinaMarie72
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:19 PM

No matter how bad they behave they sure can yank on your heart strings when they react that way!!  Deep breath...in.....and out.....  OK, all better!  You did a good thing!

4cuteboys
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM

I  know! ugh!! lol, i am a sucker for a sad face and some tears too, boo. lol

Quoting TinaMarie72:

No matter how bad they behave they sure can yank on your heart strings when they react that way!!  Deep breath...in.....and out.....  OK, all better!  You did a good thing!

sunshinemommy08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM

This sounds just like my eight year old brother...only he's even more dramatic. You will tell him nicely not to do something and he's freak out, run around the house crying, and slamming the door screaming "You all hate me." No lie...he actually did this the last night when all I said was to take better care of my husband's x-box games because he scratched one.

I'm starting to think boys at that age are just sensitive. I definitely don't think you're too hard.

Who needs Ken? I have a GI Joe!

4cuteboys
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:29 PM

LOL yeah maybe it is the age. i've talked to him about the same thing, the xbox games..he didnt cry but got all pouty. but the bacon thing, wow, he was way more upset than i expected!

Quoting sunshinemommy08:

This sounds just like my eight year old brother...only he's even more dramatic. You will tell him nicely not to do something and he's freak out, run around the house crying, and slamming the door screaming "You all hate me." No lie...he actually did this the last night when all I said was to take better care of my husband's x-box games because he scratched one.

I'm starting to think boys at that age are just sensitive. I definitely don't think you're too hard.

sunshinemommy08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Maybe he REALLY wanted that bacon.

Haha. Sorry.

Quoting 4cuteboys:

LOL yeah maybe it is the age. i've talked to him about the same thing, the xbox games..he didnt cry but got all pouty. but the bacon thing, wow, he was way more upset than i expected!

Quoting sunshinemommy08:

Who needs Ken? I have a GI Joe!

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM

no u wasnt to hard..my dd did something like this but it was over cookies.. I love Milano cookies and had just taken 1 out of it.. well i went in later to get somemore but they were all gone the little shit ate every single one of them...

4cuteboys
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:41 PM

LMAO i love milano ones too..omg every one of them! hahahahah sorry, thats so bad! i cant believe kids..muhahahaha they are so bad!!!

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I know they are the best.. Guess she like them too.. What made me was she put the empty dang package back in the cabinet so i would know till i went in to get one..

Quoting 4cuteboys:

LMAO i love milano ones too..omg every one of them! hahahahah sorry, thats so bad! i cant believe kids..muhahahaha they are so bad!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)