Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying for your childrens other parent?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

So say you and your child(s) father aren't together. Do you take the child shopping to let them pick something out for their dad for Christmas? IF you do, or would if you weren't together-- what would you get? Obviously it would have to be cheap ... Do you think it would be a good idea for the childs sake? To have something to give to the other parent for Christmas? Even though, you're the one getting it and paying for it?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I do.  I might hate his guts, but it's still my son's father.  I make every effort to act like we're friends for my child's sake.

Missi

Lauriemom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I am not in tha situaton, but I would do it.  I have no idea what I'd get him but I woud let my child get her parent a gift.  It is  for the child not the dad, KWIM??

Bizymom24
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I think it is a good idea. My ex and I have been doing this for 8 years now and it is from her because she pics it out. Usually I spend about $50 on him for her. He has to buy for my birthday too which is the day after Christmas. So he usually spends about $100 on me. My husband and his girlfriend don't have a problem with it either. I think it is a nice gesture to say thanks for taking such good care of our child. Because he is a good dad, and I a good mom and our significant others are also good to our daughter. So I say yes!

babygirl1980_07
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I dont get him anything. I let the boys pick him out a card for his Bday and he ripped it up in front of them so now we get him nothing. I do let them shop for their brother though.

lizmarie1975
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:30 PM

No.  My son's father is not involved so we don't buy gifts.

SD lives in Florida.  Her mother didn't even take her to buy BF a card for his birthday or Christmas. Instead SD just wrote a little note on a piece of torn looseleaf paper and the mother mailed that instead.

Mommy2BeFeb2009
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:36 PM
I tried this 2 years in a row and all he had to say was that is wonderful I hope you don't think she is getting you anything with my money, so I am not doing it this year.
Proud Mommy to Samantha 4 years old
Eagerly Awaiting AUSTIN JOSEPH!
pregnancy calendar
kris1975
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM

We let the boys each do an extra chore to earn money to buy their BM a gift.

ASAILORSWIFEY
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM

No i don't ive dont it once and he was rude about it so i dont do it anymore.

pearee
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Well it's the thought that counts. At least she was thinking of him on his birthday! I'd rather have a note than a card any day! Comes more from the heart!

Quoting lizmarie1975:

No.  My son's father is not involved so we don't buy gifts.

SD lives in Florida.  Her mother didn't even take her to buy BF a card for his birthday or Christmas. Instead SD just wrote a little note on a piece of torn looseleaf paper and the mother mailed that instead.

lilmomma4
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:45 PM

My first two kid's dad don't get anything for them. So, I don't make them buy their dads anything. I don't have my other kids get stuff for their dad either. They never asked to get them anything. Which is fine because he don't see them all that much (never follows court order placement/visitation schedule). And now he might be in jail over Christmas.....so makes no sense to even bother.

www.myspace.com/onelilmomma4

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)