Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

rag wrap curls?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM
  • 5 Replies

does anyone know of a site I can go to that explains how to do these? or know how to do them and can explain to me.

My EBF's mom did it to my hair one Christmas and it was soo pretty when we took them out the next day. I want to do this with my daughters hair, but can not remember how.

Please anyone? bump me please.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:19 PM

I googled it...hope it helps

How to Wrap Hair in Rags

By Vera Hogan

Rate: (0 Ratings)

If you often curl your hair using hot rollers or a curling iron then you run the risk of damaging your hair. Getting a perm will produce lasting curls but it too will end up damaging your hair. An alternative way to get curls without damaging your hair is to wrap your hair in rags. This method is cheap and simple, although it may take a bit of practice until you become used to wrapping with rags.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:

• Old sheet Scissors Comb
Cut an old sheet into 6-inch long and 1-inch wide strips. You can also just rip the sheet into strips instead of cutting it. You will need to make about 60 strips.
Wash and condition your hair as you normally would. Add mousse or styling gel and let it air dry until it is slightly damp. If your hair is too wet when you roll it with the rags, it might not dry over night.
Comb and separate your hair into five sections and fasten each with either a band or clip. One section needs to be on the top of your head, with one section on each side of your head and one section on each side of the back of your head. Or, you can section it however you are most comfortable.
Release the section on top of your head. Take a small section at the front of your head and start rolling it around a rag. You roll the rag towards your head just like a basic curler. When you reach the scalp take both ends of the rag and tie them in a bow or knot. How big or tight your curls will be depends on how tightly your hair is wrapped around the rag strips. Large or small sections of hair wrapped loosely around the rag strips will produce loose curls or waves. Small sections of hair wrapped tightly around the rag strip will produce springy curls.
Continue to section and roll until all of your hair is rolled up in the rags. It may take a little practice to keep your hair on the rag while rolling it. Before you completely unwrap your hair, try spraying some hairspray on it. This will help to keep the curl longer. Do not brush when you unwrap the rags but use your fingers to arrange the curls how you want them and then spray with hairspray. How long your curls last depends a lot on how humid the day is.
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:21 PM

wet the hair first. take a peice of hair like you would to curl it with the curling iron. take the rag and wrap tie hair around it and tie the ends of the rag, continue till all hair is wrapped. take it out in the morning and style as desired. At least this is how my mom always did it to our hair groing up.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM

wind , pile or wrap the hair into the desired size coil and thread a ribbon or tie through and tie with a simple knot but not so tight as to crimp the hair where the knot is.  Works best after many hours of setting with the heads own natural heat. But if you are careful could place a warm towel over the head to help it along. Blow drying might cause uneven curling in places or frizzies from fly aways.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Bump because I want to try to do this with my hair one day and I want to be able to find the post.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)