Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she pregnant? (my kitty)

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM
  • 30 Replies

OK, I rescued this kitty from our farm...and I think she's pregnant...what do experienced kitty mommys think?

My only other cat is a male baby so I don't really have any fullsize cat nipples to compare, but they don't have any hair right around them, and her belly is hard...can't feel lumps though...but not sure if I would know what I'm feeling anyway?

She eats like a freaken pig...and I think she drinks a lot...but she's only been here about 2-3 wks so I don't know if it's more than usual.

Here's her when she first arrived:

Would love input!!  (other than "bring her to the vet")

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I know NOTHING about cats.... but here's a bump for you!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I would say just wait and see if they pop out or not lol. I don't think you need to do anything special to preggo kittys. Its not like they need to see the kitty ob do they?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

she could be but i dunno my cat is fat in her tummy but she is fixed so i know she isnt pregnant .

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Maybe   but go online and  see how long they are pregnant for.  If she is she doesnt look that big so  you probably have alittle more time.   

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I am a vet techn. IDK about her being prego. Could be.. If she is she is still abit early. However in a few weeks if not now she will begin to pull the hair away from her nipples. So just check for that. Also if you are comfortable... You can mush on her belly, if you feel several lumps then she is prego. You won't hurt the babies in there by mushing her belly. They are really protected in there.. Much better than our babies!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM

i wouldn't go by how much she eats, cause if that was the case, then my male kitten should be pregnant.  haha.  anyways, from the one picture, it really looks like she is, her belly sticks out on the sides.  also i don't think it's "normal" for cats bellys to be hard.  if she is, or you think she might be, then yes take her to the vet because just like humans it's very important to find things out before hand.  plus if she isn't pregnant, then there could be something else wrong with her especially since her belly is hard and sticking out.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM

When my cat was pregnant, she got lumpy, and I could feel the kittens when I pressed on her belly.  Ok. I did it lightly, but you can't tell they are kittens, but the lumpiness isn't normal.  You would know if something felt off, even if you arent' familiar with cats.  You can call your local vet and see about her getting a kitty pregnancy test.  She's a beautiful cat.  I am so glad you took her.  You are a very good person!  I hope the holiday season is very good to you this year.  Please, let me know what you find out!  I've saved animals before and I have saved more than one animal from the shelter!

reindeer 1reindeer 2sleighchristmas tree

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:41 PM

hmm...She's been hanging out in my bathrub lately, and I've noticed tufts of hair in there...and around the bottom two nipples there is no hair...little more closer to her neck. 

Banfield at Petsmart has free office visit times once/week....maybe I'll run her up there next week. 

thanks for the info and bumps...

I'll keep watching her...

She hates being picked up...but is very affectionate...(weird combo...think it comes from being a farm cat)  she's getting better at it though:-)

Hopefully at some point she'll grow to like my dog or at least come hang out in the rest of the house and ignore her...she is gorgeous and mostly very sweet...except of course when I try to take pics of her modest:-)

by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:49 PM

i think she looks preggo...thats what my cat looked like when she was preggo, if she is she will start getting bigger pretty fast...

by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:59 AM

My parents got their Siamese from a friend of my mom's.  She has a farm and the cat wasn't catching mice and whatnot.  They decided to take her and discovered a few weeks later she was pregnant.  It seemed like overnight her belly got huge.  The only way you'll find out is if you take her to the vet or she suddenly pops out a few kittens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)