Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*edit* I need help please

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok ladies i have a question. I have a son who is 2 who has ELD (speech disorder), he has been having these horrible fits where nothing calms him down and he's been picking up anything in sight (table, toy boxes, cups) and throwing then, pulling out his sisters hair and just anything you can think of he does it. I'm st wits end here. His ST is getting me a referral for a child's behavior Psychologist but i need advice if anyone has been thru this or is going thru this i don't know what to do.

Thanks

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
siobhan_06
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:46 PM
My 2 yr old has a speech delay I'm not sure if the 2 are the same thing but bexause she can't express her feelings in words all she knows how to do is get violent. She's bitten 8 kids at daycare already. In a week. Lol we just ride it through until she can start classes and talk 2 her as much as possible and let her know her behavior isn't going 2 get her anywhere. Hope this helps!
sunshine7902000
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:51 PM

my 12 yr old ds has a speech problem. he was seeing a speech (can't think of the word. brain freeze lol) since he was 2 and a half and is still seeing one at school everyday. but he never had a bad temper until the last few years.

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:57 PM

My son has developmental delays but hasn't really done any acting out.  He could  be frustrated that he cant get his point accross. anyway heres a bump

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Hi
Mrs.Pipkin,

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Children with speech disorders/delays

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\The CafeMom Admin Team

PurpleNurples
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Sounds to me that he is frustrated that he can't express himself.  Pull him aside and make him go slowly.  Perhaps he can draw a pic. of what it is that he wants if he can't put the words together.  Good luck Mama. 

flying bunny

vegepunkstr
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Have you tried teaching him sign language? I taught my oldest sign language before he could talk and I believe it helped tremendously

Photobucket
mnmsmom2008
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Like the PP mentioned I would start teaching him signs.  He is most likely acting out from a combination of being 2 years old AND having trouble communicating what he wants. 

katzmeow726
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:12 AM

As hard as it sounds, be patient with your LO.  They're probably VERY frustrated and upset that expressing their feelings is very hard, and can also sense your frustration with them.  Literally it puts you two in a nasty frustrated cycle!  Hopefully the psychologist will be able to help you understand him better.  If your son has a speech pathologist see if there are ways to interpret what some of the things he says means.   I've luckily never been through this, but I've seen it so many times.  You'll get through it!  Your son isn't a bad kid, he's just having a rough time.  *prayers/good vibes your way*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)