Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay so here is my problem my DD is 21/2 yrs old and they got to a home daycare it is fenced but when the kids aren't playing it is open, so for the few days my DD will be standing in the yard while me and her teacher are talking playing with her brother than she just runs out to the car ( which is parked on the street in front of the house) I scream to her to stop while I'm chasing her but she goes in the road than she turns around and comes back both times a popped her butt and explained how dangerous this is but she did it again today! I feel so bad for hitting her because I'm not sure if she really understands that she must hold hands before she goes in the street but I also don't want her to keep this up and get hurt: Any advice ladies???

* Please if you want to argue go somewhere else Thanks:)

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I think you did it right. She has to learn....Its for her own safety ...Kids have to be taught this stuff. Good luck hon!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I have a 2 1/2 yo who is getting into the "not listening" stages, I would pop his ass too and he would laugh until one day I smacked his bare ass and he didnt laugh anymore.  There is no shame in whacking your childs ass, you cannot let your child walk all over you and you mean business so you have to stand up for what your telling her and show her you mean it despite how badly you's all about being the parent, what we do now affects how they act as an adult.  All these people will reply that you shouldnt smack you kid, blah, blah, blah...she is your child and you have to do what you feel is right just as they are doing what they feel is right.  Take care :)

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM

So I'm not really a spanker, but that is scary!  I think I probably would have done the same thing.  If your voice escalating into a frantic shout did not stop her, then maybe a little spank will.  I guess there are many ways to handle it, but I wouldn't feel too bad.  Was she affected at all or even understand?  This is tricky.  Sorry

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Weird because my son did the same thing today.  He ran out in the middle of the street while at work and I ran after him (which was hard to do considering I'm 8 months preggo) and when we got back inside my workplace, I gave him a smack and explained to him the dangers of going into the street without holding my hand. 

Personally, I would say that if your child is in danger (like running into the street without you, or sticking something into an electrical socket) that smacking would be okay.  That's just my personal opinion though because I do the same with my son!

pregnancy week by week
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:04 PM

You are a good mother....dont let any of the non spankers say other did what was right in the right moment.......

A truckers wife, mama to Franklynn, friend to all! Love is found in the heart but spread with words and gestures.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:04 PM

well i dont spank, but going into the street is dangerous! and a big no no! so if you feel that is whats best, then yeah you did the right thing! just because i dont spank doesnt mean you shouldnt :)

but seriously, if you aren't comfortable with the situation and dont want to spank (you said you felt bad because maybe she doesnt understand-not trying to force my opinions on you!) can she still sit in a stroller? maybe you can pick her up in her stroller and that will eliminate the problem

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I can pick her up in a stroller but I also have a one yr old son too, so it is kind of hard since we dont own a double stroller. I don't mind spanking her I'm just worried that she isn't quite comprehending and I need her too, cars come in and out of hat neighborhood and it would be hard to see her coming from behind my car since she is so small.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I'm not a spanker, but don't think people that do are bad for it...

I think that if you're really feeling that bad about it though, maybe you should try to find another way to resolve the issue.  Like keep the gate closed so she can't run away.  Or strap her in a stroller.

All of my kids learned not to run in the street without ever being spanked, so it can be done.  It just takes time and initiative on your part to keep them safe.  Don't give her an opportunity to get away.

Good luck, no matter what you decide, I'm sure it will be the right choice for your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)