Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I force my DS to sit?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM
  • 17 Replies

My Ds is 10 weeks old and always insists on standing.. Obviously by holding onto something.. He can't pull himself up yet and will scream until he is in standing position, he carries his own weight while standing.

But.. I've heard they shouldn't be doing this so young and it can damage their legs..is this true? He is laughing and trying to walk and stand by himself so i don't really see the harm in it, but my MIL has told me that i shouldn't let him do it?

What do you ladies think?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyinAug08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:38 PM

wow 10 weeks...he must be a strong little man...my son is 4 months and a week and is still learning how to roll over and sit with support.

BUMP

Quoting ktnmase:

My Ds is 10 weeks old and always insists on standing.. Obviously by holding onto something.. He can't pull himself up yet and will scream until he is in standing position, he carries his own weight while standing.

But.. I've heard they shouldn't be doing this so young and it can damage their legs..is this true? He is laughing and trying to walk and stand by himself so i don't really see the harm in it, but my MIL has told me that i shouldn't let him do it?

What do you ladies think?

ayschia_markie
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:41 PM

10 weeks?? Can he even hold his head up yet?

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM

My son hated to sit down. We always let him stand up on our lap. But he had great head control. If we didn't let him stand he'd go stiff as a board and he push himself up from our stomachs.

wendily
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM

My DD was the same wayI asked the doctor and she said no harm can come from it,  it doesn't make them bow legged lke you may of heard. Don't worry. Guess iI should also say my DD walked when she was was just under 9 mo. old! You may have an early walker too!

Lauriemom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I would ask his pedi. I have no idea if it is safe or not, my kids didn't do that (they did every other pain in the neck thing tho, LOL)

If you think it could be dangerous, don't let him do it till you've check it out with the doc

GL

Laurie

ktnmase
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Been holding it up since birth. Guess he's just a strong boy.. he's my first so i 'm not sure what they do at what age but people have told me he is too young...he holds on to my fingers and just stands there smilling his little butt off.

Quoting ayschia_markie:

10 weeks?? Can he even hold his head up yet?

wendily
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM

She could also hold her head up for short periods from birth.

luvmyboys2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I have 3 boys, 7 years, (almost) 2 years & 7 1/2 mos... all 3 have done it, are doing it... they dont have problems... I think its more myth then anything, but as long as you're supporting him and not letting him carry the full weight I think it should be fine. GL! Remember, you are the mother.. you know whats best!

jaedynmoon
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM

my daughter started doing that around that time too...she has a really strong neck since birth and everywhere else so her head is supported and she just wanted to stand all the time...she's almost 6 months and still loves standing.

It wont harm the legs....it's just an old wives tale or whatever you call it...my sister is a doctor so I asked her and I also ask her Ped. It's fine

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM

OP and Wendy your kids sound like my son lol.  what your saying about your kids is what my son did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)