Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Mommy ?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:53 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son is almost 3 months old...and he eats 6 oz every 2- 2 1/2 hours and sleeps all night. He seems to want more tho. Should I start him on rice cereal or wait a lil bit and keep on with the formula?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IloveHayden08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:54 PM

It is not healthy to start rice cereal this early!!

ILoveMyJason
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:54 PM

It doesn't sound like there's any need to give him cereal right now. The AAP recommends waiting until he's at least 4 months .... 6 months is even better. His stomach isn't meant to handle anything but breastmilk or formula until then.

Photobucket
hunnielane
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:56 PM

My dr had us put cereal in formula at 2 months cuz our son was always hungry. They sell thicker liquid nipples for bottles these days so its easier for them to suck it out.

10 month old son& 25 wks pregnantbaby 1stholidayexpecting girl

Katenemsmom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Cereal is not really good until baby is developmentally ready.  I would wait unti your Pediatrician okays it.  

Meganskiddos
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:58 PM

NO cereal!  Doctors "may" say introduce it at 4-5 mos but I waited until 6 months like the AAP said.  That is PLENTY of formula he is getting.  My dd doesn't even drink that much and she is 8 months old.  JMO

Cloth diapering-Pro Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Non-Vaccinating , Attachment Parenting, Organic Living, Christian, Pro-Life, Anti-Drama,  Free thinking Mom of 2 beautiful children!

IloveHayden08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Omg I have never heard of a dr doing that, I am not saying he didnt but I would have changed drs if he had recommended that for me. But I am breastfeeding my baby!!

Quoting hunnielane:

My dr had us put cereal in formula at 2 months cuz our son was always hungry. They sell thicker liquid nipples for bottles these days so its easier for them to suck it out.

krista778
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM

My dd was taking about 8 oz at that age and no cereal untill 4 months when the doctor cleared it. I see nothing wrong with giving him more if he seems to need it, just hold off on the solids until the doc tells you its ok.

Amberwavessss
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM

I recently read a tip that formula-fed babies need bottles containing 1/2 an ounce per pound.  So if he weighs 12 lbs. he needs 6 oz.  If he weighs more just divide his weight in hakf and that's how many ounces he should get in a feeding.  Cool, huh? 

Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Quoting Meganskiddos:

NO cereal!  Doctors "may" say introduce it at 4-5 mos but I waited until 6 months like the AAP said.  That is PLENTY of formula he is getting.  My dd doesn't even drink that much and she is 8 months old.  JMO

He eats so much! But he is also like growing a weed! Not really getting chunkier, jus getting really really long!

Ali_Colio
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:08 AM

My Dr said we will start my daughter on rice cereal at 3 1/2 months. I would just call your pedatricain and ask.

When is your sons birthday?

My daughter is about the same age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)