Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Assistance and Adoption (Thoughts?)

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM
  • 19 Replies

Just curious...

A woman finds out she is pregnant.  She is still unsure on whether or not she will keep the baby.  She gets on medicaide to cover her doc appts and by her sixth month decides to look into adoption.

She picks a couple.  They offer to cover the remaining med expenses.  She refuses.  While she is almost certain she will relinquish, she wants to keep on medicaide because she doesn't want to feel obligated to them for paying her expenses.

Some people bash her because she is "using their tax dollars" to support a pregnancy she isn't going to keep.  But if she opts to let them pay and then keeps her baby, she is seen as a "scammer" who should have "made up her mind" before the baby was born.

I am just curious how you ladies would see this.  Do you think it's wrong for a expectant mother to get medicaide to cover a pregnancy and go into an adoption plan, refusing medical help from the adoptive couple in case there is a chance she want to keep her baby?

I've been bashed for encouraging women to get on medicaide to cover pregnancy care while they work on adoption plans.  But I have heard from some moms in other groups that women who change their mind at birth are "scammers" if the adoptive couples pay med expenses. 

Why is it so bad for a woman to be on medicaide while working on an adoption plan for her baby?  If the adoptive parents aren't paying any expenses, then she isn't made to feel obligated in placing and won't feel guilty if she changes her mind when her baby is born.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punkin6498
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:58 PM

I would rather her do that then abort.....

lilmomma92706
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Quoting Punkin6498:

I would rather her do that then abort.....

Amberwavessss
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:07 AM

I'm all for prenatal care.  I don't have a problem with any mother using Medicaid to benefit their baby whether they raise him/her or not!

randi1978
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:09 AM

I suppose I am curious because some have said I was "encouraging welfare queens" by advising women with unplanned pregnancies to get on medicaide.

tjgirl
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I dont see anything wrong with her being on medicaid at all!

We are looking into adopting a baby again. If anyone knows of someone who has decided to put their baby up for adoption, please let us know:

Mommy to one beautiful baby girl named Liliana

Punkin6498
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM

I have to agree with the momma who said she's all for prenatal care. However that momma and baby are taken care of, everyone deserves medical care! I have been so lucky and who knows when each of our lives could end up there!

Quoting randi1978:

I suppose I am curious because some have said I was "encouraging welfare queens" by advising women with unplanned pregnancies to get on medicaide.

Amberwavessss
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Encouraging?  Are you introducing them to their baby-daddies??  j/k.  You know... we pay taxes and health care is important and the ones who qualify ought to get some use out of it. 

Quoting randi1978:

darcyh5
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Most adoptive parents would pay for medical costs if she-or you- were truley serious about this.

TalaziaMae
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Quoting Amberwavessss:

I'm all for prenatal care.  I don't have a problem with any mother using Medicaid to benefit their baby whether they raise him/her or not!

_young_mommie_
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Quoting randi1978:

Just curious...

A woman finds out she is pregnant.  She is still unsure on whether or not she will keep the baby.  She gets on medicaide to cover her doc appts and by her sixth month decides to look into adoption.

She picks a couple.  They offer to cover the remaining med expenses.  She refuses.  While she is almost certain she will relinquish, she wants to keep on medicaide because she doesn't want to feel obligated to them for paying her expenses.

Some people bash her because she is "using their tax dollars" to support a pregnancy she isn't going to keep.  But if she opts to let them pay and then keeps her baby, she is seen as a "scammer" who should have "made up her mind" before the baby was born.

I am just curious how you ladies would see this.  Do you think it's wrong for a expectant mother to get medicaide to cover a pregnancy and go into an adoption plan, refusing medical help from the adoptive couple in case there is a chance she want to keep her baby?

I've been bashed for encouraging women to get on medicaide to cover pregnancy care while they work on adoption plans.  But I have heard from some moms in other groups that women who change their mind at birth are "scammers" if the adoptive couples pay med expenses. 

Why is it so bad for a woman to be on medicaide while working on an adoption plan for her baby?  If the adoptive parents aren't paying any expenses, then she isn't made to feel obligated in placing and won't feel guilty if she changes her mind when her baby is born.

Nope... I think that in doing that she is protecting herself in the possibility that she may decide last minute to keep the baby.... then she would have to pay the adoptive parents back the money, which she may not really have (hence the reason she received medicaid in the first place)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)