Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dogs outside post (not a debate just pondering)

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Should you keep a dog outside?

Options:

It's fine...i grew up in the country

it's fine...i grew up in the city

No....i grew up in the city

No i grew up in the country...

Other...b/c there is always one :)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

Saw this in the post about getting a dog outside and was just wondering...

oh btw i do expect the dog to be taken care of i just wanted to know if being outside was abusive to the dog! :)

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SkysMom3808
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I picked other. If I want a family dog it stays in the house. We have always had Hounds that are outside dogs.

lillybugsmomma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM

common sense. if it is to cold or to hot make sure they have what they need to stay comfy. and always keep there shots heart worm flea ect up! i have a spoiled doggy who has his own couch and stays in most of the time! but i see nothing wrong with having an outdoor dog as long as they are take good care of.

Emma Worth

expecting girltoddler girl

TatuMama07
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Bumpity bump bump!

WhiteTigerLily
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM

i voted other , cause really I feel it all depends on the conditions of the "outdoor dog's" living conditions. If he had shelter, and wasn't extremely hot or cold, and isn't being neglected, and/or abused, I don't see why not keep one out door the majority of the time. I do not keep my dog outside , but I know some people that do, and they have awesome set ups , with shelter, ways for the dog to keep warm or get cool......... and entire area dedicated to their "outdoor dog". They also allow their dog indoors, but you get what I am saying. If the dog is tied to a tree and not being fed and watered, then I think there is a problem there.

ElijahsMommy58
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I grew up in the country & our dogs were always inside. Of course, we'd take 'em out everyday & if they wanted to stay out, fine. But at the end of the day they were ALWAYS inside. And if it was too hot (or too cold) they just went out to do their business and then came straight back in.

Aimee14
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I grew up in the country, Dogs had thier own little house (old chicken coop). But my dogs are inside dogs now.

heatherann0221
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM

other, dogs shouldn't just be kept outside whether you live in the city or country. If you get a dog, he should be inside except to go out to use the bathroom, maybe to go out and play as long as you have him on some kind of runner, or a fenced yard.

The people in my neighborhood leave their dogs out ALL the time. I don't think these people ever let their dogs in. I hear them outside all the time. Why would you even get a pet if you're not going to let him in your house?

PeanutandLJsMom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM

I have dog runs set up outside so my dogs can go out and stay out for a while, we have wood on them and straw for them to walk/lay/whateven on. They are out during the day then at night we bring them in cause it's to cold for them right now. So both with my dogs. And once my pups are old enough and weined from their mother they will be outside all day and night cause they start to stink bad, poop wise. When they go in the kennels they will have a heat lamp or two so they don't get to cold plus my DH made a house for them to cuddel up in. Don't worry we did this last winter and it was warmer in the kennel then it was in house ans way warmer then outside, the pups were nice and rosty toasty.  I have no problem with outside dogs as long as the owners know how to take care of them.

On the subject. I had a person I knew that his dog had pups out in the cold and snow and teir was only an igloo for her to go into and she had 4 pups and all 4 died they froze to death. That is the kind of person that I'm not to fond of. It was way to cold for her to be out their with no where to escape from the cold. I feel bad for those pups that died though. =(

Robyn218
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM

I have big dogs that mostly live outside.  They have a heated in the winter and cooled in the summer house that is very comfy,  It's like a children's play house...  AND my little dogs live mostly in the house.  I have a doggie door so ALL the dogs come in and go out at their leisure, 

Sometimes the little dogs sleep with the big dogs outside and sometimes the big dogs sleep inside...   Well trained and very much loved

NJRMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM

i've always had big dogs.. labs, shepards, and new foundlands..  they were mostly indoor outdoor dogs.. out doors most of the time *we had a big pasture so they could run*  but providing how the weather was, say rainy, cold *colder the 60 degrees* etc, they would be inside.. oh.. i chose other btw - if you couldn't tell.. lol :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)