Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Photo Mommas (or anyone, lol) Take a look! I need CC PLEASE!!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm new to photography, and really new at editing. Well I've read posts about playing with the curves and contrast and saturation to convert pics to B&W. Will someone please give me CC on the B&W conversions? Tell me if they look too gray scale, or if her face is too blown. Thanks!!!

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

ok, last one, lol.....Before:

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dolphinhj
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:04 AM

I think they turned out really good:)

Abby28
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:06 AM

the first b&w looks good. I love the last one. The second one. To me looks a little weird. Like her eyes and mouth are kinda floating in a white space... and the third one looks pretty good.

in lovetoddler girl

TalaziaMae
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:07 AM

pretty good.. but dont most programs have an option to do that so you dont have to?

jothra
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM

I would play with the contrast and saturation a little more. The first and second one are pretty good, but the last one looks like the blacks and whites are a little too strong. Maybe more of a grey scale?

Sorry, I comment on all of Dh's work, not sure how he manipulates it, just tell him what I think.

Gretchen0122
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:28 AM

Thanks ladies! I'll keep playing with it!

Arianna
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Greetings,

What program are you using?  Most programs have a b and w conversion, that you press one time and it converts your pic to black and white.  Most times that is enough.  The key thing that I want to point out on your pics...Constructive criticism here only because for the most part they are good, your contrast is a little off.  The dark parts are too dark.  I usually only mess with contrast a little bit and only if it is needed after the initial conversion.

Another way I mess with stuff is by using the feature for fill flash and back lighting.  (Fill flash brings things out that are dark and shows details that may have been lost in the exposure)

Hope that helps!

Arianna

Mommy, Wife, Homeschooler, Director of Religious Education, and Earth Religions Practitioner.

Gretchen0122
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:34 AM

Thank you! I used paint.net for these pics. I know it have the B&W button, but I don't like using those, imo it turns them more greyscale. I'll play with the contrast some more and try what you said about the fill flash and back light. Thanks alot!

Quoting Arianna:

Greetings,

What program are you using?  Most programs have a b and w conversion, that you press one time and it converts your pic to black and white.  Most times that is enough.  The key thing that I want to point out on your pics...Constructive criticism here only because for the most part they are good, your contrast is a little off.  The dark parts are too dark.  I usually only mess with contrast a little bit and only if it is needed after the initial conversion.

Another way I mess with stuff is by using the feature for fill flash and back lighting.  (Fill flash brings things out that are dark and shows details that may have been lost in the exposure)

Hope that helps!

Arianna

Arianna
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Here is one of your pics using paint shop pro's black and white conversion: (The pic itself lost some quality because it was so small on cafe mom.  it would look better working with a larger size)

Mommy, Wife, Homeschooler, Director of Religious Education, and Earth Religions Practitioner.

Arianna
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM

And here, I took the blue picture, and before I converted it to black and white, I adjusted the color balance a little first, and then used the one time black and white conversion.  Both are below...(Again quality lost due to small photos)

Gretchen0122
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:42 AM

Thanks. I guess I just like them better when they are darker darks and whiter whites..JMO, but thank you!

Quoting Arianna:

Here is one of your pics using paint shop pro's black and white conversion: (The pic itself lost some quality because it was so small on cage mom.  it would look better working with a larger size)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)