Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too Much Formula -- Freaking Out

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM
  • 21 Replies

Instead of adding ONE scoop of formula to a 2 oz. bottle, my husband added TWO.

Well half way into the feeding, my husband goes..."Oh was it one scoop or two?"...I asked how many he added and he said two. 

So my husband blames ME now!  "Why didn't YOU make the milk?" "Why didn't you tell me?" ... I swear he can't take responsiblity for anything.  He even tried to find a way to blame our 6 year old son. 

Anyways....will this hurt my baby???  I'm near tears because I don't want him to get sick.  He only drank one ounce of it...but still.  Should I be concerned?  Should I call a doctor?  Is there anything I should be watching for......or am I just being a jumpy mommy?

I threw out the bottle right away.  Should I make a new one and try to get him to drink it?  I know babies aren't supposed to drink water.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8himon
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:17 AM

relax momma....you should be MORE concerned if there WASNT enough formula....make a new one ounce bottle so he cant finish his feeding...dont starve him now lol

K8himon
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:17 AM

i meant CAN FINISH his feeding lol

SunshineJJ7
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Yeah I've heard all the horror stories of over diluting.  I was just concerned if there was a similar consequence to "underdiluting".  Babies are so small and fragile...one ounce seems like so much. 

Quoting K8himon:

relax momma....you should be MORE concerned if there WASNT enough formula....make a new one ounce bottle so he cant finish his feeding...dont starve him now lol

jothra
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM

I wouldn't worry, like the PP said, just make another ounce. If anything I'm surprised he was able to drink it with it that thick.

SunshineJJ7
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM

Thing is it happened at exactly midnight.  My birthday!  So my gift is a panic attack and a husband blaming me for something I told him NOT to do in the first place.  Sheesh. 

RoguesMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM

I did this before, my daughter was a lot older though, and she had her whole bottle before I realized how many scoops vs oz of water she had- oops.

But she was fine.

I would make a regular 1oz bottle and continue to feed him.

betsyfaith
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM

I'm sure your not the first mom to have this happen.  I agree with the other mom, just make him a new bottle, and finish his feeding.  I'd probably just keep an eye out for any constipation, but things will probably be fine.

SunshineJJ7
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Thamks ladies!

ArmyGal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Aww mom once told me she bought one can of liquid formula and didn't know she had to add water and feed my sister the whole can that thick lol. Just said she got alittle constipated.She'll be fine. hugs

K8himon
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM

on the RARE occasion i make premade bottles i KNOW once or twice i lost count of if i put two scoops in...so id add another to be safe....better to be over than under when it comes to that.

id go reconcile w/ hubby......theres more important things in life.

Quoting SunshineJJ7:

Thing is it happened at exactly midnight.  My birthday!  So my gift is a panic attack and a husband blaming me for something I told him NOT to do in the first place.  Sheesh. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)