Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

storing food?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:18 AM
  • 4 Replies

my 17 month old has a bad habbit of storing food and liquid  in his cheecks and swallowing it later.  My older DD never went through this so I am not sure on how to handle it. He has reflux and does occassionally choke on his stored food.  There was one time a couple of days ago where 20 mins later he still had a chunk of animal cracker in his mouth.  What can i do?  How can i encourage him to swallow?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lyrick24
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM

You might want to check with your dr. on that. I know when I worked in a nursing home and we had pts. that had had strokes or just wouldn't swallow, there were people that would come in and work with them on thier swallowing. There were different techniques you could use to stimulate their swallowing relflex. It may have been a speech therapist who came in and done it but I know it worked. I would really ask about that.

Melissa

lujenem3
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM

My 4 year old granddaughter does this, and fortunately if we see her doing it and tell her to swallow, she will. Don't have any other ideas for a 17 month old-Sorrybump

lujenem3

barefootmommawv
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:40 AM

I've never had to deal with this. I hope you can figure out something soon.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM

My daughter did that for a bit, my son too. They grew out of it. My daughter once kept a piece of chicken nugget in her mouth for about 45 minutes. I realized it when she wouldn't talk to me. She was almost 3 at the time. I made her spit it out. After about a week she stopped doing that though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)