Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really could use some help

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 31/2 months old and last week he started coughing. Now i took him to the Dr for something else and I mentioned he had started to cough and the Dr didnt say anything (this was on the 26th). Well this morning I got my son and he slept for almost 9hours  and the cough was worse. It sounds like he has alot of mucus in his throat or it is a very wet cough. He also has a runny nose. What should I do?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Is he coughing anything up?  If so what color?  What about what is draining out of his nose?

I would just call his doc, especially if his mucous is green, yellow, brown or bloody, and see f you can't be seen..but if everything is clear it may just be allergies or a cold and it may just have to be treated symptomatically.

HoweryMama
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM

He isn't coughing anything up. And he has a clear fluid running out of his nose.

Quoting anetrnlov:

Is he coughing anything up?  If so what color?  What about what is draining out of his nose?

I would just call his doc, especially if his mucous is green, yellow, brown or bloody, and see f you can't be seen..but if everything is clear it may just be allergies or a cold and it may just have to be treated symptomatically.

mommytwoboys
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM

It sounds like a cold but if you here congestion in his chest do the following:

Go on the bathroom with him, shut the door and turn the shower on hot. Let it steam up and sit in there with him. Feed him in there if you have too. This will help clear him up.

Use a humidifier in his room. Place a few rolled towells under his matress to raise it for him to sleep better at night.

Get a suction and saline drops and suction out his nose as much as needed. He will hate it but you need to do it.

Watch his breathing. If he starts wheezing, or you see his lungs sucking in then take him to the dr. right away.

Are you breastfeeding? If so get him to bf as much as possible. Your antiboties will help him fight this.

Good Luck but try all this.

I delt with 2 kids with RSV. Seth was hospitalized for a week b/c of it. So watch him closely.

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:05 AM

That's good...it isn't an bacterial infection then.

They have gotten very odd about giving someone so tiny cough and cold meds that I would call the doc and at least see if you can talk to one of the nurses about what to give him.

If nothing else go to your pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist.

Quoting HoweryMama:

He isn't coughing anything up. And he has a clear fluid running out of his nose.

Quoting anetrnlov:

mamakas2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:06 AM

If he's able to sleep 9 hours at 3 months, then obviously the cough isn't bothering him that much. I'd be thankful for the break, try to stockpile up on sleep yourself! Neither of mine slept more than 3 hours at a stretch EVER until they were 8 months (my youngest) and 17 months (my oldest) and neither slept NINE hours until they were around age 3. So I'd say enjoy it!

HoweryMama
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Ok. I have used saline drops before and they haven't seemed to be doing anything for him. And  unfortunately I am no longer bf-ing due to some complications on my end.  And I did the shower thing with him a few days ago. I even got Baby Vapor Rub to put on him.

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Quoting mommytwoboys:

Go on the bathroom with him, shut the door and turn the shower on hot. Let it steam up and sit in there with him. Feed him in there if you have too. This will help clear him up.

Use a humidifier in his room. Place a few rolled towells under his matress to raise it for him to sleep better at night.

Get a suction and saline drops and suction out his nose as much as needed. He will hate it but you need to do it. 

Watch his breathing. If he starts wheezing, or you see his lungs sucking in then take him to the dr. right away.

Are you breastfeeding? If so get him to bf as much as possible. Your antiboties will help him fight this.

I delt with 2 kids with RSV. Seth was hospitalized for a week b/c of it. So watch him closely.

When you do the Saline does your doc reccomend lightly spraying it in or squeezing hard?  Mine says squeeze hard to help blow crap out.

Completely OT:  I think I am the only person that humidifiers actually make worse....isn't that odd.

HoweryMama
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I think its funny that you say that because my son had a sneezing and stuffiness awhile ago and I gave him the humidifier and it seemed to make him worse too!!

Quoting anetrnlov:

Quoting mommytwoboys:

When you do the Saline does your doc reccomend lightly spraying it in or squeezing hard?  Mine says squeeze hard to help blow crap out.

Completely OT:  I think I am the only person that humidifiers actually make worse....isn't that odd.

mommytwoboys
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM

The saline drops  are just to help get the snot out of his throat easier. You squirt them in and suction the snot out.

I went through 4 bottles with Seth. LOL.

The vics should help some and keep the shower up for quick fixes.

If the cough keeps up take him to the Dr again specifially for the cough.

I am really anal about kids that young and colds for obvious reasons. 

Good Luck

Quoting HoweryMama:

Ok. I have used saline drops before and they haven't seemed to be doing anything for him. And  unfortunately I am no longer bf-ing due to some complications on my end.  And I did the shower thing with him a few days ago. I even got Baby Vapor Rub to put on him.

mommytwoboys
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I just squeezed a few drops in and suctioned the snot out. This is how they did it when he was in the hospital also.

The warm mist humidifiers made Seth worse. The cool mist helped.

Quoting anetrnlov:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)