Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why you shouldnt drink coke when pregnant???

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM
  • 77 Replies
  • In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
  • 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
  • 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure
    rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
  • 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
  • >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism
    . This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
  • >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
  • >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
  •  

i just saw this in another website..

what do you guys think.. does it make you change your mind on drinking coke when pregnant?

i personally still have a coke now and then.. i dont think its THAT bad.. but i wouldnt ever drink more than 1 a day.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    evie.m.momma
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM

bump

lovelily79
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Oh I feel bad now I drank a lot of soda.... well not a lot, probably more then I should have,  but I craved it lol

hotchick-1.gif picture by jdavis2

tippymorgan08
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I COMPLETELY cut soda from my diet during my pregnancy. Juice and water was all I had, with the exception of a glass of ginger tea here and there to help me with morning sickness, and some chocolate on occasion.

My dad's a diabetic, and the first drink he goes for when his blood sugar drops too low is a Coke, and those are the reasons why. Coke is basically nothing but sugar so it helps shoot the blood sugar levels up instantly. So yes, I believe it, and that's why I cut soda out of my diet during that critical time. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a soda here and there, but it wasn't what I wanted for MY child.

aidansmom0313
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I don't think one Coke or Pepsi (my preferred cola...lol) every so often is going to be THAT bad for you. I drank Pepsi during my pregnancy with my son and he's a happy, healthy little boy who's almost 4! I really haven't had any with this pregnancy, but that's b/c the carbonation makes me nauseous! I think they're overreacting just a bit!

PaganMom2285
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I drank two diet cokes a day for the first seven months of my pregnancy. I drank 1 a day after that along with about a gallon of flavored water. I think people over exagerate. Drinking coke or even diet coke in moderation is the key. Moderation. A concept some people seem to forget.

Mellhanks
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Well ok lol IDK my doctor said you can safely have 8 oz of soda a day while pregnant and it would have no efect on the baby.  Of course I drink one a week so it never mattered but I'll go with my doctor.

lovelily79
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Yeah I was told that also, I was happy to have my morning coffee, besides being soooo sluggish I couldn't function without it

Quoting Mellhanks:

Well ok lol IDK my doctor said you can safely have 8 oz of soda a day while pregnant and it would have no efect on the baby.  Of course I drink one a week so it never mattered but I'll go with my doctor.

hotchick-1.gif picture by jdavis2

PoisonousBlonde
    by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Near the 3rd trimester of my last pregnancy I could not have any caffeine, that meant chocolate as well. My daughter was having heart problems and any caffeine would make it much worse. The issues corrected itself before she was born.

img381/8154/99620876gs2.gifthimage021.jpg jasper witlock hale image by mrscullen1jasoer2.jpg jasper image by NiK_ThE_NuT7255646.jpg Jasper Hale image by mabudachi3OMEYUP.jpg Team Jasper image by sspatlan88

northernmommy
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM

i drink pepsi, but if i don't it trigger's migrains. my doc told me to drink pop if it helps keep my migrains at bay.

babies

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
    Amberwavessss
    by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM

All processed foods trigger negative side effects in the body.  Unfortunately we're hooked on the convenience and the belief that it's "no so bad" for us.  I recently went on a short-term vegan fast. I never felt better but it's hard to make that change.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)