Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent About Bills

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM
  • 9 Replies

Ugggg I just hate bills.  It totally sucks.   Especially this time of year.   they suck.  You would think when things are getting this hard financially for ppl that the Amount you have to pay for basic things like Electricity would get less not go up higher.  People are loosing their jobs left and right having a really hard time making ends meet and bills are going up.  And its not even the luxury things that are going up.  I'm lucky that my job does not rely on a company to pay me.  I deal directly with the public.  And even in these hard times ppl still buy what I sell (knocking on wood) But I work online which requires me to have my Internet but my cable TV really is a luxury so is my home phone service.  Those bills altho tied into my internet bill has pretty much stayed the same over the past several months.  My electric bill is sky rocketing.  In the past 2 years It has actually tripled.  My cable has doubled since I first signed up with this company.  But I knew that when I signed the paperwork when they installed.  I would get 1 year with the introductory rate and then it would increase.  I even knew how much it would increase.  If my cable bill becomes too much I can shut it off.  I don't need TV But I need Electricity.  Without it my kids can't eat cause I would have no way to cook food or store food.   And there is no options of competing companies.  There is one Choice.  At least here there is one choice.  They have you trapped and stuck. About a year ago i signed up with a company that was suppose to cheapen my bills.  I still had to go thru con ed but it was suppose to be 10% cheaper and better for the Environment.   I'm not really sure how it worked other than it ended up adding to my bill.  The delivery charge i was getting from con-ed shot thru the roof.  I've since dropped that other company but my bills are still getting higher.  I've really started to conserve on energy.  Bought the "right" light bulbs.  really shutting things off when not in use . Most things get unplugged when not in use.  Energy compliant appliances.  Yet my bill that I has to pay today was $570.  that's insane.  That literally is more than my rent.  I live in a rent stabilized apt which does make it cheaper by far but when your Electric bill is almost equal to 2 months rent there is a problem. I was lucky that I had the $$ to pay it but I can't imagine how difficult it is for others.  My very best friend recently her husbands salary was cut in half. he expects it to be cut in half again within the next cpl of months and he expects to loose his job entirely when the company closes down which he expects by summer time. He's worked there almost 14 years.  There is no other jobs in his area for what he does.  She can't find permanent work either.  She's been subbing at her kids school but there's nothing permanent. its really sad. 

okay thats my long vent of the day.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jazzyandpat
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

your electric company sounds like my water, gas and swear company. they keep rasing our rates. when i moved in here back in 97 that bill was only 40 dollors if i was lucky.know it is over 100 with it on a buget.with out a buget i dont even want to know how much it would cost me.

sadiesaz1
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:15 AM

It does suck, the gas on budget now is something like $178.00/mo.  I remember moving into the apt. I had rented 3 yrs. ago, it was $65/mo on a balanced budget.  The same thing with the electric, it is insane.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Quoting jazzyandpat:

your electric company sounds like my water, gas and swear company. they keep rasing our rates. when i moved in here back in 97 that bill was only 40 dollors if i was lucky.know it is over 100 with it on a buget.with out a buget i dont even want to know how much it would cost me.

Its crazy that things that we need are going up by so much.  I can't go without electrictiy.  You couldnt go without water or gas.   Its just insane.  Granted I only pay for cooking gas and that bill is still fairly cheap.   But If i don't have electrcity my stupid stove will not go on.   I can't stick batteries in my fridge.    Idk maybe i'm just in a bad mood but paying that bill this morning really made me mad.  My cousin left yesterday  My sweet little cousin left yesterday for more training and by the end of the month she is being deployed.    She's been stop lossed and they are sending her over seas.   That could be the cause of my irritation and the bill was just what put me over the top.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Quoting sadiesaz1:

It does suck, the gas on budget now is something like $178.00/mo.  I remember moving into the apt. I had rented 3 yrs. ago, it was $65/mo on a balanced budget.  The same thing with the electric, it is insane.

My 1st bill when I moved into this apt  Feb will be 2 years.  Was $110.  The apt I had before that for 10 years included electric so i was not used to paying attention.  And I still thought $110 was alot.  Started to conserve and the bill dropped down to $80-$90 for awhile.  Then slowly at first started to creep.  Then it capped at about $300 for awhile  then moved on up to over $400 and today an all time high of $570.  about 6 months ago I had to take out a loan to pay my Electric bill.  I'm stil paying that off.

themacs4
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I hate, hate, hate paying bills!!  Last month our electric bill was $110.  Last night I paid it & it was $220 for this month.  UGH!!!  The only positive thing I think of is at least we have the money to pay them..

SunnyJoJo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Kinda on the subject, My favorite is when they send the bill to collections when your still making payments on it... We've had this happen to a few bills now and it makes me sad. I don't even answer the phone anymore. We are making payments but can't afford to pay the entire thing and that just isn't enough for them I guess.

I think my mom's electric bill was around $1500 this month. It's crazy when you only have one choice. They just stick it in and break it off. In when we lived in Louisiana we had this stupid $200 tack on to our electric during hurricane season called "Hurricane Tax". No warning just there it was and guess what? No hurricanes, but when there was a hurricane it went up to a $300 hurricane tax. 

themacs4
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM

$1500!!  OMGosh!  That is insane!!  That is rediculous about the hurricane tax, too!

Quoting SunnyJoJo:

Kinda on the subject, My favorite is when they send the bill to collections when your still making payments on it... We've had this happen to a few bills now and it makes me sad. I don't even answer the phone anymore. We are making payments but can't afford to pay the entire thing and that just isn't enough for them I guess.

I think my mom's electric bill was around $1500 this month. It's crazy when you only have one choice. They just stick it in and break it off. In when we lived in Louisiana we had this stupid $200 tack on to our electric during hurricane season called "Hurricane Tax". No warning just there it was and guess what? No hurricanes, but when there was a hurricane it went up to a $300 hurricane tax. 

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Quoting SunnyJoJo:

Oh my favorite is I keep getting calls from this one collection agent  on a bill that has been paid off for years.  I was in school back in 95.  I had taken out a loan to pay for all of my books.   I was suppose to pay it back 6 months after I graduated.  I really didnt want to have it hanging over my head so I started making payments before I was suppose to.   I didnt pay any interest because I wasnt suppose to making payments yet  I had it completly paid off  Long before the first bill was suppose to come.  Orig my payment plan was suppose to be  $125 a month  for 18 months.  which was way more than the $1500.    I was told that since I paid before it was due that the $1500 was enough.  All of a sudden they want me to pay a crap load more.  Which I did pay the $750 off eventually.  After over a year with fighting with them.  Now out of no where they want me to pay interest on the $750 that was owed for that year.   When I called the school they only refer me to the collection agent.  They wont even discuss it with me.   We are talking about something that was like over 10 years ago.

SunnyJoJo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I know! They always refer you to the collection agency! Well try talking to them! They all think everyone with a bill that is outstanding is a criminal and doesn't want to pay it. I refuse to talk to the agency and keep making my payments to the original bill. Although it kills me to know we are prolly getting horrible credit but there isn't anything else we can do.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting SunnyJoJo:

Oh my favorite is I keep getting calls from this one collection agent  on a bill that has been paid off for years.  I was in school back in 95.  I had taken out a loan to pay for all of my books.   I was suppose to pay it back 6 months after I graduated.  I really didnt want to have it hanging over my head so I started making payments before I was suppose to.   I didnt pay any interest because I wasnt suppose to making payments yet  I had it completly paid off  Long before the first bill was suppose to come.  Orig my payment plan was suppose to be  $125 a month  for 18 months.  which was way more than the $1500.    I was told that since I paid before it was due that the $1500 was enough.  All of a sudden they want me to pay a crap load more.  Which I did pay the $750 off eventually.  After over a year with fighting with them.  Now out of no where they want me to pay interest on the $750 that was owed for that year.   When I called the school they only refer me to the collection agent.  They wont even discuss it with me.   We are talking about something that was like over 10 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)