Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog Lovers..I have a question.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM
  • 8 Replies
I am thinking my Yorkie may be pregnant....I have never dealt with a pregnant dog before and really have no idea what I am supposed to do. Just thought I would ask...I cant get her into the vet till next week. Thanks

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SkysMom3808
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

What do you think the daddy to the puppies might be. Yorkies are so small it could be dangerous for her if the dog is larger than her!!

my3littleboys
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Yes we have a male Yorkie. He would be the father

GramaDart
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:26 AM

You really don't have to do anything except watch her! Unless you didn't WANT her to have pups. Then you should get her in a.s.a.p. so they can give her a shot to abort...

Delivery is difficult for little dogs, so your vet will become your best friend through the delivery!

Good Luck!

harvgal04
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:26 AM

This is true...my old dog, she passed away, but she had puppies, she was a mix, smaller dog, and she mated with a bigger dog, and her giving birth to her puppies was dangerous for her, she lived but than her breasts got something wrong with them...good luck! Just keep an eye on her

Quoting SkysMom3808:

What do you think the daddy to the puppies might be. Yorkies are so small it could be dangerous for her if the dog is larger than her!!

SkysMom3808
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Your male Yorkie isn't her brother or dad right?? B/c Inbreeding can cause all kinds of problems!  Do you want her to have the puppies b/c if you do she needs extra food and vitamines.

Quoting my3littleboys:

Yes we have a male Yorkie. He would be the father

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM

awww i wish i could help but im a new pup owner to my lil bitzey ( yorkie purebreed)bump just got her. she is only 3 month's old but here is a bump

Jodie103
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:34 AM

If you want her to have the pups there is nothing to do, you don't need to take her to the vet unless something look wrong. Even when she goes into labor she will do it all, it is amazing how dogs just know what to do.

kmbolds
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Just keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating well.  Also, when she has the pups, if you plan on selling them or giving them away they should stay with the Mom for atleast 10-12 weeks instead of the 6 weeks like you would with most dogs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)