Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is This A Scam?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

So about a month ago I entered my 6 month old daughter in the "Great American Baby Photo Contest". Today I checked the mail & there was a letter saying that her picture was chosen to be in their book of "Most beautiful babies of 2008". I was truly excited until I read on. It says I can order this book to keep for like 70 bucks , but I also have the option to not buy it. To me , it kinda sounds fishy. Like they probably tell everyone there baby was chosen so they can rack in the bucks.

Has anyone done this or heard anything about this before?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2dane07
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM

yeah i did that too. You will get like a million emails trying to get you to buy that damn book. It is a scam just to get you to pay to have your babies pic in the book. I would just mark the emails as spam or i think that you can opt out of getting them. hope this helps

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM

from other posts I have seen on here, yes it is a scam that you are just paying $ for a book. But I am sure someone else can give you better info :)

Kat770
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM

It sounds a lot like the Who's Who Among _____.... a lot of people get letters like that and their kid or they are only featured if they buy the book, or whatever they're trying to sell.

MrsBentine

Honestly what it probably is is that they will want you to pay to enter her into pageants or classes.Alot of those contests do that and yes they tell a lot of parents the LO one something...

KYChica

I have never gotten any emails from them , just this one letter. If gives me the option to buy it OR I can give my permission to still have her in the book without buying it.

Quoting mom2dane07:

yeah i did that too. You will get like a million emails trying to get you to buy that damn book. It is a scam just to get you to pay to have your babies pic in the book. I would just mark the emails as spam or i think that you can opt out of getting them. hope this helps

bethmoore71
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Well I can tell you that I got pretty much the same letter a year ago, for a Best Photo contest. They had a book to buy too. I didn't buy a copy, so don't have a clue as to if it's legit or not. Several times in the months after that first letter, I received more correspondance from that "contest", and never replied. I think it was just all bogus.

MrsBentine
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Found this too momma!

How To Avoid Photo Contest Scams

Learn The Clues To Photo Contest Scams

By Sylvia on February 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Permalink

Be watchful of photo contest scams, because the terms used in contest guidelines can mean something else entirely. Particular phrasing used can cause you to overlook some important details. Once you know the identifying clues, you can avoid becoming a victim.

What is a scam?

People use the word 'scam' when they feel ripped off, whether they have been or not. It's sometimes confused with 'unfairness', which can arise when the photographer doesn't grasp the fine print.

A true scam occurs when someone tries to get money from you illegitimately or promises something in return and doesn't deliver.

Photo contest scams generally involve you buying the final product that is supposed to include your photo. It often doesn't. A request for money doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam, however. A minimal entry fee is common when there is a money prize.

Clues that can indicate photo contest scams

Look for any sections in the policy stating that by entering, you understand that they can use your photos on their site and anywhere they see fit without payment to you.

Look for the portion that talks about who holds the copyright. Photo contest scams usually specify that you forfeit all rights to the photos you submit. This means you can never sell the photos, ever.

The general rule is that you never give away your copyright.

Operators of photo contest scams use unwary photographers to gather huge stocks of photos for free that they then can sell to various buyers. This includes calendar producers, book publishers, graphic artists, and for photo CDs. The scammers make all the money with those free photos.

Ensure that you retain your rights unless you receive appropriate compensation. If you will receive a huge dollar prize for a winning photo, it might be worthwhile to give away the copyright. If you're receiving a token payout or a trophy, however, this is not sufficient to cover the price you could likely get if you sold the photo elsewhere.

Take a close look at the web sites that are offering the contests. Are they amateurishly designed? Is there a way to make direct contact with the people running the contest, such as telephone number and street address? Check to make certain they are real contacts.

Web sites that are run by photo contest scam artists might look legitimate, but the information can be fake. The Google page rank could be a good clue. You'll find it in the little green indicator bar that Google includes in their task bar. If you don't have it, you can download the free task bar from Google.

If the site has minimal information and you see no green line, it could mean the site hasn't been around long and might be run by a fly-by-night organization. On the other hand, a well-designed site with a lot of quality content is likely legitimate, regardless of page rank.

By being alert, investigating the organization and the people, and studying their contest policy with a close up lens, you can protect yourself from photo contest scams.

Categories:

« 4 More Techniques for Editing with iPhoto | Home | You're Never Too Old To Learn Digital Photography »

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)