Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She has.. UPDATED AGAIN- As if the storm could blow harder!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM
  • 75 Replies

ovarian cancer. My best friend/sisters mom (she is more of a sister than a best friend her mom is like my 2nd mom and my mom and her mom are bestfriends and have been for over 30 years)  has found out she has ovarian cancer. They are doing surgery on her today. They may have to take out some of her colon but her test results came back negative for colon cancer. They will also be taking out some her intestines. If they have to take out more than like 7 inches or cm or something anyways she will have to be on a colostomy bag for the rest of her life. Please pray for her that she comes out of this as well as possible. She has a tumor on her ovaries and its 6 cm. Which is very big. Its blocking her colon so she is completely backed up and her intestines are wrapped around the tumor and ovary. The cancer is past the stage 1, however they will not to what stage it has progressed until they are in surgery which started at 8:30 this morning. She needs prayer, please pray for her.

Also, does anyone know anything about ovarian cancer? I have had a few people tell me its the hardest to overcome. However, I don't understand if they do a total hysterectomy then how would she still be able to have ovarian cancer? She'd have no ovaries to have that cancer. I understand it can spread and it can develop in more places, but as far as the ovarian cancer? I'm so worried about her, can someone help me understand what all happens? They will be giving her chemo for 6 months as well as taking out her ovaries and all female organs.

Thank you.

Update-

Well she had her surgery a few days ago. At first we thought she was going to be ok. The nurse while in surgery told her family over the phone that they had gotten all the cancer. When the surgery was over and the doctor came out- the news was worse. They didn't get out all the cancer. She's to eat up with it and they had to take all of her colon out, 9 FEET of her intestines, all of her female organs and she more cancer in her stomach.  She isn't given a very good chance of life much longer. She recovered from her surgery very fast and much better than expected. Again, showing signs of hope.

Today while at work I get a call from my mother; the doctors have decided not to give her chemo, because she has too much cancer and it will kill her. I've NEVER heard of this. Why can't they just try it? Chemo killing a cancer pt. ?? I thought it was suppose to HELP kill the cancer, not the person. I'm so confused right now and I don't know how to take this. Much less help my friend through this. I can't even imagine what she is going through. Her father died a few years ago and now her mother and she is only 23 with a son and baby on the way. She started crying saying how she can't go through having a baby and not having her mother to hold her hand. How will she live with out her bestfriend? I can't help her through this. This is all to much for me. Dealing with this is beyond me. Why won't they just try the chemo- give her a chance? I don't undestand... I'm so upset and frustrated. 

Ok another update- I just got off the phone with her. She said that there is something else they can do for her besides chemo and its not radiation. She hasn't gotten to talk to her mothers doctor yet but is on the way up there to speak with him ... but what else can they do besides chemo!?! Does anyone know?

Ok she talked to the doctor. It seems it is worse than I thought (as if that can even happen- well it can and it is). The doctor said that they took not only all over her colon, not only 9 feet of her intestines but also; her appendix, and some of her stomach. The cancer is in her stomach- they couldn't get it all. The cancer is in her esphogaeus, and at the top of her lungs. The doctor said that he has never seen so much cancer in person as much as she has. He also (who is the BEST cancer doctor at this hospital) has called a team for her. They are more experienced in this. He said, he didn't want to give the chemo for a number of reasons, she isn't strong enough, she has way to much cancer and it won't kill it all? I guess the team disagrees, and we will see what happens. I pray for her so much God is more than likely tired of hearing me... I just can't pray enough for my "sister". She is trying to be so strong, but she can't even stay in the same room with her with out breaking down. Of coarse she doesn't want her mother to see her crying and upset so she has to leave the room... but she doesn't want to leave her. She wants to be with her. She just can't. She can't handle it. Plus she's pregnant- and this stress isn't good for her or the baby. I don't know what to do. I wish I could help her, but I can't. I feel so useless and like a bad friend- when she calls I have nothing to say. I even told her, I can't offer her much words except that I love her and that I'm here for her. Thats all I CAN say that is true. I can't say its going to be ok- its not. I did tell her that she is strong and this is going to be the hardest thing she'll do, but she can get through this. Her father died a few years ago- but it was sudden and not expected. She was very torn up about it, and she even brought that up tonight. She said how she didn't have to watch him die like her mother. I can't imagine, I don't want to imagine. I just hope I have the strength to encourage her to have the strength to get through this. I hope that her mother can overcome of this... and it almost sounds morbid to think that she won't, but I honestly don't think she will. Thats so hard for me to come to realization towards, but I have to. I feel horrible thinking that, like I'm giving up hope. How do you just give up on someones life like that? Pray for a miracle. crying

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pearee
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM

30 viewers.. not even a prayer or at least a damn good luck? No one knows about ovarian cancer either? Wow.. sorry its not drama enough for you ladies. Sometimes.. I don't even know why I look here for support.

Thanks.

NoshnBasket
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM

sorry mamma..... can't help you with your questions but here is a bump

bump

happy new year 2009

stacinbob
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM
im soooo sry hun! hugs.. my prayers r with her n you!!

pearee
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Thank you!

Quoting NoshnBasket:

sorry mamma..... can't help you with your questions but here is a bump

bump

c_boerman
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Im not sure but here is a Bump and I will be praying for her and her family. 

myfoursonsks
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Ovarian cancer is a very hard one to treat.  Mostly because a lot of women have it for a long time before they figure it out.  By the time they do catch it, it has usually spread somewhere else.  Then, it is kind of a waiting game to see where it shows up. 

Stay strong for your friend and her mom.  I will send them and you positive thoughts.

katyvan
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I'm sorry for you and your friends family to go threw this. My prayers are with you all. I hope she full overcomes this with the best outcome possible. Sorry I have no advice about ovarian cancer.

Sugurpie06
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM

My prayers are with you friends mom and her family. I hope all turns out for the better.

Andrea

myfoursonsks
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:22 PM

You are upset and that is okay.  Just realize that not everyone has an answer or knows what to say.  When you see a reply, it just means someone has clicked on it.  A lot of people see longer posts and choose not to read.  But, it is a fairly decent sized post and it may take some people awhile to read it and take it all in and think of what to say.  You got upset about it just 7 minutes after you posted.  Take a deep breath.  You only want support from the people that want to give it anyways. 

hugs

Quoting pearee:

30 viewers.. not even a prayer or at least a damn good luck? No one knows about ovarian cancer either? Wow.. sorry its not drama enough for you ladies. Sometimes.. I don't even know why I look here for support.

Thanks.

pearee
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Yea I know. I'm so impatient I guess. Very uptight right now. I think I'm just going to do some WebMd and some googling for information. Thanks.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

You are upset and that is okay.  Just realize that not everyone has an answer or knows what to say.  When you see a reply, it just means someone has clicked on it.  A lot of people see longer posts and choose not to read.  But, it is a fairly decent sized post and it may take some people awhile to read it and take it all in and think of what to say.  You got upset about it just 7 minutes after you posted.  Take a deep breath.  You only want support from the people that want to give it anyways. 

hugs

Quoting pearee:

Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)