Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age ?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your little ones have chores??

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

What age did you have your little ones do chores?

My little ones Addie Tashie and Sammie (are 4 yrs old, 3 yrs old and 21 month old). And the girls chores are very simiple and easy. They have to pick up their toys and put them away every night, and they also have to put their dirty clothes in a clothes hamper. They also put their dishes in the sink, when they are done eating (they have plastic plates and bowls) Also Addie; my 4 yr old; loves to pull out all the shoes for the closet so I have her put them all back, I figure if she wants to get them out she can put them back. My hubby is teaching Addie and tashe to make their beds, just to put the blankets back on the bed.

The reason I ask this is because my step mom says that little kids under 8 years old shouldn't have chorse, because they should be having fun and not worring about chores. That it is my job to keep the house clean and tidy, not my kids job.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bugabug
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Waiting until they are 8 to give them chores makes it that much harder to get them to do the chores.  They should be helping with whatever they can according to their age.  Should a 3 yr old be cleaning the bathroom?? No. But if they are old enough to play with toys in their room, they're old enough to clean them up when their done.  Same with clothes.  JMO

family in the vanGO JAZZ!!!

lenalove
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I said other, because my son is to young to understand chores. he is only 11 mos. but when he gets a little older, he will have to pick up his toys [im sure ill help him] and eventually start making his bed. i think as long as you dont go overboard it is a good thing. they learn to be thenkful for what they have and have respect for the household

Want a new siggy? Just ask! I love to make them:)

TraceNspace

They get an allowance and they have chores but thye aren't set. I have them help bring in the groceries. I have them clean up their room and put their clothes int he dirty clothes, hang up their towels etc. Then we have plams in the front of the house that drop leaves and they pick those up, they help take care of the dog etc.

They are 8 and 12, my 12 yr old has autism and it's a bit harder to work with him on chores than with some kids.

click here to follow me to my groups...........

Krysta69

I think they are simple enough for their ages. It is helping them learn manners. Most parents ask their kids to do things like pick up their toys anyway

I love my boys <3

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM

my ss has chores he also gets $5 a wkend for doing the chores.  his chores include making his bed when he wakes up brushing his teeth after breakfast and before bed and putting his clothes away and putting diryt ones in his hamper.  if they mess the living room then they clean that up too

dd is only 20 months but she will put her clothesin the hamper and help clean the living room also

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing.  I have been seeing more and more posts like your's about someone not thinking their kids should be doing chores.

My dd is 19 mos and I have her helping my pick up her toys.  She will pick up whatever mess she makes in the bathroom, a lot of times without being asked.  She also will put her clothes in the laundry hamper after I change her.  As she gets older she will be doing more chores.

Keep doing what you are doing.  Sounds like you are doing a great job mama and getting help from your hubby, that is so great.

miasmommy901
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I think it is never to early to start giving them chores my 2 year old feeds our dog (with help of course), puts her toys away and helps mommy around the house.  I find that she wants to be involved so why not teach her at an early age. 

Sandra

sxylilmom
by Supergirl on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I think you are right. They are not too young, as long as the chores are simple. They learn that if they make the mess they clean it up. If not, then they will always expect you to clean up after them.

geistans
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:28 PM

that is my thought,
And I don't want to be cleaning up after them their whole lives.

Quoting sxylilmom:

I think you are right. They are not too young, as long as the chores are simple. They learn that if they make the mess they clean it up. If not, then they will always expect you to clean up after them.

geistans
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Thanks that helps me out knowing that I doing right. It was hubby idea to get them to make their bed.

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing.  I have been seeing more and more posts like your's about someone not thinking their kids should be doing chores.

My dd is 19 mos and I have her helping my pick up her toys.  She will pick up whatever mess she makes in the bathroom, a lot of times without being asked.  She also will put her clothes in the laundry hamper after I change her.  As she gets older she will be doing more chores.

Keep doing what you are doing.  Sounds like you are doing a great job mama and getting help from your hubby, that is so great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)