Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

organized mommas, need help!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok, one of my resolutions for the new year is to be MORE organized.  I would like to hear how some of you ladies stay organized...I am on a budget so if you have any cheap ways let me know.

Jenn

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MESMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM

what are trying to start organize?? everything?? or like... clothes.. paperwork...your kitchen pantry.... bills.....??

jnhjlh
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Quoting MESMommy:

what are trying to start organize?? everything?? or like... clothes.. paperwork...your kitchen pantry.... bills.....??

paperwork...clothes...bills

any suggestions will do! thanks

MESMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

as for paperwork/bills... for Christmas we just got a filing cabinet... however before that, I would get those boxed organizer boxes from Walmart which had dividers in them and I would label each one for each place I had a bill 

State Farm (insurance) ..... TWC (cable)... Mortgage.... BlueGrass Energy (electric) ... etc... and each month after I paid the bills, I would put the statement in there

ALSO... I made a spreadsheet on my computer and printed it out with EACH place I owed a bill too... I printed out 12 (Jan-Dec)   and next to each one would write in how much the bill was and when I paid it...

I hope this makes sense

nemiller
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

the first and most important thing to do is get rid of the clutter.  spend 30 minutes a day that's just devoted to organizing.  only do one drawer or cabinet at a time, though... it can get overwhelming.  once you get the clutter out, you'll be able to figure out a system that works best for you.

in my living room, i have a filing cabinet for papers.  i'm constantly taking books to resale shops or giving them away to friends who would like them.  i only keep reference or books that i REALLY love.  my movies are alphabetized, but you could get a CD case for each genre and consolidate even further, creating more shelf space.

i have a mail center by the door.  we hang our keys and have a slot for mail that needs to be dealt with (incoming) and mail that needs to be sent (outgoing).  and my system is ever-evolving.  sometimes i'll think of a better idea and adjust how i do things.  but like i said at the beginning, the best thing you can do for yourself is clear out the clutter.  good luck, mama!

cherylleslie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Try Flylady it helped me out before we moved! Good luck!

http://www.flylady.net/

Cheryl

Motivated Moving Mama's

aaralynsmom973
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:02 PM

To organize my time I use day planners.  Calenders.  I have 2 calendars at work and a day planner plus I carry around a day planner in my purse and have another calendar at home.  I also have a filing cabinet but as a cheap way to do a filing system you can get filing boxes and use those. 

kristaldlopez
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I have one of the hanging weekly clothing organizers for the kids school clothes now I just pick out the clothes once a week. And I make school lunches while I am making dinner.

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

First thing DECLUTTER the home.  Attack one room at a time.  Make three piles

1st: Things used regularly:  This pile will get sorted for what room it should belong in.

2nd: Things used and need but not often: This pile will get placed in plastic storage tub and labeled with the items inside

3rd: Can't remember when the last time you used or wow didn't know we had this.  This pile will get donated or trashed.

Get rid of all the knick knacks one more thing to clean.

Paperwork. Get a file sorter.  Tax Records can be shreded after 5 years: Bank Statements 3 years.  Sort your papers.   When I pay bills I write the date it was paid and method along with any confirmation.  Once I get the next statement and confirm payment was received and looks right ,  I then toss the old statement away.  I sort my bills out by the day they are due.

Storage area: Declutter this and donate anything you don't need.  Place the storage tubs by their usage.

Linen Closets.  Get 2 medium baskets.  One put your first aid stuff in and the other one put sunscreen, lotion and those types of items in it.  Get rid of old bottles or not used stuff.

Don't allow your self a junk drawer.  Everything as a place and get in that mind set.  You can use those cheap plastic drawer things to put a pad of paper, pens, etc.

Everynight spend a few minutes putting things up.

jnhjlh
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:24 PM

These are ALL wonderful ideas thanks moms...I really appreciate the help!  Started organizing already! good luck to me and thanks again!!!

DelennDax
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM

You can set it up so you get your monthy bills (phone, electric, etc.) via email instead of paper (less clutter). Then you can pay bills online, set up your bank account so you can pay your bills online, I haven't written a check in years!

IDK if you do coupons but get a small file folder with a few sections.  Put your coupns in there and they can be divided by food, cleaning products, baby, etc.

Instead of making a ton of trips upstairs, keep a small basket by the stairs and place items in it that need to be taken up there.  On your trip upstairs, take the basket and take care of the items (don't leave them for later b/c later comes way late).

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)