Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big move questions

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM
  • 6 Replies

So my husband and I have potentially been offered a great job offer in Nevada. We currently live in New Jersey. I wouldn't mind moving so much, I just have a few questions to all of you moms out there.

Is the kids only going to get to see thier grandparents and/or relatives once a year or so going to affect them negatively?

How do you go about finding a great school?

pregnancy week by week
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LilyFrogTat
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM
My children only see relatives MAYBE once a year sometimes not for 18 months.But we do webcam and they chat on the phone. My DS is totally in love with his grandparents and is always bragging about them LOL.So no it shouldn't affect them.As for schools I am not sure as I am not there yet but will be next year. I plan to do tours of the school and chat with the teachers and so on.

in love   toddler boy toddler girlcat

* Dh & I *            *DS(3.5)*        * DD(2 on 1/11/09)*      *Lucky*

canagirl95
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM

where in Nevada?  We lived there for 7 yrs & loved it!!!!!

montanagal2005
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I was born in Alaska and my grandparents were all in the south, so I didn't get to see them even every year. It would have been nicer to been closer and got to know them better, but as long as they talk to the kids on the phone, and keep in touch, it wouldn't be too bad. It's not the same as having them right up the road, but I survived and have a good relationship with my grandparents. I now live in the south and my parents live in Montana, so they don't get to see their grandson much either, but he talks to them on the phone, he gets to see them on the webcam, and we send them videos. They hate not being here, but it's working out fine.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
SCmommy106
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I just moved from NJ to SC less than a year ago. Your realtor should be able to give you info on the schools in the areas you are looking at, you can also find info like that on line. I would also suggest driving by the school at the end of the day to se the kids coming out.

As for the issue of children not seeing their grandparents I can truly tell you that it does have an effect on the child. My DD is only 2 but she loves her grandparents dearly and she misses them a lot. She also has cousins her gae that she doesn't egt to see often and that is hard as well. I make it a point to call her grandparents often and have her speak to them on the phone. She also "writes" letter and draws pictures to her 2 year old cousin. I look at pictures of famly with her often too so she will remember them.

We are in the process of trying to move back to NJ as we speak because we miss it so much. It is just to different here for us and we miss our families. Think long and hard about moving. I feel like we rushed into it and now we are basically stuck because we cannt sell our house because the market is in such a bad state.

devalexiangel
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Somewhere in the Las Vegas area or the areas surrounding it

Quoting canagirl95:

pregnancy week by week
canagirl95
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM

ah, we lived in Reno & East of Reno.  We only went to Vegas once, during a huge heat wave when I was 9 mos preg w/ our 12 yr old son~ no ac in the room!  As for schools, home schooling is a great option (freedom for traveling that can be considered educational field trips).  I've never used a webcam, but my Dad swears by his~ also, texting is a fun way to keep in touch with friends & family, even for your youngin's!  Good luck to you!

Quoting devalexiangel:

Somewhere in the Las Vegas area or the areas surrounding it

Quoting canagirl95:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)