Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler leash?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM
  • 50 Replies

So, we are going to Disney World the end of this month.  I have an 11-year-old handicapped daughter, a 7-year-old, and an 18-month-old.  How does everyone feel about those toddler leashes?  I have heard that mothers have gotten rude remarks from people.  I am only concerned that she will run off while we are helping one of the other two.  I know she won't like being strapped in a stroller all day.

What do you think?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theskillfactor
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I say her safety is 1st, and if other people don't like it, maybe they should just look the other way. Disney World is busy and full of people (Duh) and I would have the same concerns.

markettby

I was thinking about doing the same thing as we are due to go to Disneyland in the middle of Feb.  I am thinking that I will because my son does not like to sit all day...... Do what you feel is best. Good Luck and have fun

Jesstickuh

I have one for Korbin, I hardly use it but I have it when needed, like airports and busy places, I like them cause sometimes strollers are hard to bring to places and it's just easier..  I find it a safe way to help keep track of your kid when you have more.. it's a big help

I remember going to the beach and I heard some lady yell LOOK AT THAT GIRL WITH HER BABY ON A LEASH! like I was doing something bad, and then another group of people when I walked by saying something rude, but I don't remember what it was.

If you love being a mom please Join us at---

I love being a mom!

SCmommy106
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

My DD has a harness that lookes like a monkey back pack and the tail is the part that I hold onto. We used it for different situations. When I flew back home for a visit by myself it was a life saver in the airport. My DD loves to walk so what we do is we put the monkey on her but we encourage her to hold our hands but if she breaks away and tries to run she cannot get seperated from us. I have goteen dirty looks from people but you know what, I'd rather have my kid be safe than be the one that runs off and gets lost.

jobo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I would use one.Who cares what people think?its for safety reasons.Disney is a very busy place and a little one can get lost quick.

londonmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM
we went to disneyland in Oct and my daughter was just over 2. I got a cute from from babies r us. It's a little pink backpack with the leash. My daughter hates being in her stroller so it worked great, plus she really loved the backpack part and she knew that in order to be out of the stroller she had to wear it. She still wears it around.
party_of_5
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I have the ones the are the monkey backpack type. I have gottne some funny looks/remarks & rude comments, but I have also gotten the ones that mom's wish they had something like that when their children were little.. I think in a crowded place like Disney World I would use one for my 4 & 5yr olds.

mommatbot
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I used to be one of the people that totally made fun of those things.....that was before I had a toddler! We go to Diseyland all the time, and they do get way tired of sitting in that stroller the whole time. I say go for it!

Kat770
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I have a backpack buddy harness/leash that I plan on using with my DD when she's old enough.  The only people I've really heard say anything to me about how "awful" they are-- are people who DON'T have kids!  One of these people who said such a comment- a mid-30s, no kids, knows everything- said "I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER put my kid on a leash like a dog"... REALLY?  So if you had your hands full, you would let your kid run out in the middle of a busy street?  Just my opinion.  An old lady said something to my mom in a mall about my brother being on a harness- she said "It's a shame that pretty baby is on a leash like that" and my mom told her "I love my pretty baby enough that I don't want anything bad to happen to him".

BBowMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM

We have one of those monkeys with a long tail from Wal Mart for DD. I absolutely love it. I have only gotten positive comments...some of the moms ask where I got it. DD loves it to. When we use it, she thinks that she has a tail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)