Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just tired of it.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I would have to say that I hate my husband's grandma.  I have never ever been rude to her or let her know how I feel, and for 3 years straight she has done nothing but talk down to me, disrespect me, and treat me like crap.  I know she resents me becuase I married her "sweet" little grandson, and she doesn't want him to grow up, but Hello, he loves me and wants to be with me.  I also think she resents me because we named one our our twins Lola, and throughout the whole pregnancy she would randomly call me and try to make me change the name.  Um, not your baby old lady.  Among the things she does to me are, coming into my home and rearranging my pics and opening my blinds without asking, telling me that I wasn't feeding my son the right formula when he was a baby (because it wasn't the formula that her other granddaughter used), telling me that I need to have supper on the table every night for my husband (I am a full time student rasing 3 children under 3, and bottom line, none of her business), randomly calling me and asking me what we're having for supper in order to be nosy and make sure I'm cooking for her sweet grandson, stopping by and asking if I have my laundry caught up, asking me a question and then ignoring me when I answer her, treating my sisters and nephews like shit at family gatherings, I could go on & on........I"m just so tired of this.  I have been holding it in for 3 years, and to top it off, last night we went over to her house for ham & beans.  It was extremely crowded in her tiny house and hard enough to get in there with a toddler and two 9 month olds.  After I finally I found a seat for hubby and me, we went to get our food. She dished out our cornbread and gave me mine from the plate with the cornbread that was all crumbled and gave hubby a nice piece from a different pan ( I know other people wouldn't notice things like this, but I do) ,then we sat down and she asked every single person at the table what they wanted to drink, and got their drinks, without ever saying a word to me.  Then immediately when my husband was done eating she grabbed his plate and set some pie out in front of him and never even asked if I wanted any.  And made sure to ask everyone else if they wanted some right in front of me.  Now, its not that I'm too lazy to get my own drink or pie, I really didn't give a shit, but I knew she was deliberately being rude.  I can see right through her.  And I would also like everyone to know that I am truly not a lazy person, I keep my house clean, I cook for my family, sometimes I am busy obviously (twins, a toddler and full time student) and sometimes we eat frozen pizza for supper, but who cares? We're happy.  In fact, I love to clean, I am a little obsessive compulsive, but with 3 little ones you simply cannot control the toys and stuff. I'm sure you all understand.  We are supposed to go eat dinner with his grandparents tonight at Cracker Barrel.  I really don't want to go. I'm tired of being treated like crap and being disrepected.  I've tried to put up with it and brush it off, but how much more can I take?  What would you all do? Thanks for listening. I really needed to vent!!! - Kristina

baby development

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zillionaire
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Kill her with kindness.  You can't fault her for adoring her grandson, although the way she is treating you is pretty pitiful.  Next time she asks around to get people their drinks, tell her to sit down and let you or your hubby get them.  She's old.  You'll never win any other way.

luv_my_xiya
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

dont go...i know i wouldnt...if i didnt like my fiances family, i def wouldnt be around them...i dont feel obligated to do anything i dont want to do....it might your dh grandma, but you dont have to like her or be around her, you need to tell him too

Mellhanks
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

sorry but thats the way it goes.  Did she raise him?

madtan23
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM

well your not going to be able to change her..believe me...I've got people on hubby's side that is the exact way, except for they act like your best friend to your face...I just ignore it...I'm all nice and stuff when they are around, but really they just aggravate me and I know as soon as they are gone it's gonna be all talk...but you can't change them...Just know that you are doing what is the best for your family and that they are happy...

MrsAlmeda
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

What does your DH say about the whole thing? 

Personally, I'd express my feelings to DH.  If I really couldn't take it anymore...I'd just opt not to join DH when he visits her.  Get caller ID and don't answer the phone when she calls...let DH answer it. 

But I'm also very quick to write people off when I feel disrespected.  Some folks are much kinder and more forgiving than I am.  So...it depends on what you feel comfortable with, I think.

halford2005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Thanks ladies.  No, she didn't raise him, but she was around him an awful lot.  She babysat for him when he was little and his mom was finishing school.   I have talked to my husband and for the first time he finally sees how she is treating me.  He says he wants to talk to her, but I don't see much point.  And for months I haven't been answering when she calls.  I just got to the point that I can't stand the sound of her voice. 

baby development

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)