Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

COUPLE HAS TWO SETS OF MIXED RACE TWINS>>>>COOL

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

UK couple has mixed race twins — twice

07:37 AEST Sat Jan 3 2009
ago
Lauren and Hayleigh hold their new siblings. (Sky News)
Lauren and Hayleigh hold their new siblings. (Sky News)

A mixed-race British couple has defied the odds — twice — by producing two sets of twins in which one sibling appears to be black and the other white.

Dean Durrant's newborn daughter Miya has dark skin like him. Twin sister Leah has fair skin like her blue-eyed, red-haired mother, Alison Spooner.

Their older siblings Lauren and Hayleigh, born in 2001, also have strikingly different skin tones and eye colours.

"There's no easy way to explain it all. I'm still in shock myself," Durrant, 33, told Sky News on Wednesday.

Both sets of twins are fraternal rather than identical, meaning they are the product of two separately fertilised eggs, so it is not unusual that they don't look alike. Miya's skin colour was more influenced by her father's genes, while Leah takes after her mother.

But scientists say it's rare for a couple to have two sets of twins, end even rarer for them to have such different appearances.

"Even non-identical twins aren't that common," Dr. Sarah Jarvis of Britain's Royal College of General Practitioners told Sky.

"Non-identical twins from mixed parents, of different races, less common still. To have two eggs fertilised and come out different colours, less common still. So, to have it happen twice must be one in millions."

The phenomenon is so uncommon that there are no statistics to illustrate its probability, although it is thought likely to become more common because of the growing number of mixed-race couples.

The twins were born prematurely in November in Frimley, southern England, and spent several weeks in the hospital. They are now at home with their parents in Fleet, 60 kilometres southwest of London.

I am a motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
necro1134
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM

thats pretty cool

TraceNspace
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM

That's so cool, are there pics of the parents too?

click here to follow me to my groups...........

momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Wow, two sets of twins! My brother was going crazy with just one set :)

Sharon

FinallyaMommy2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM

LOVE your siggy! Oh yeah, the story is cool too! Thanks for posting!

~Rachell~        

KellyChristal
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Thanks....Yeah, two sets of twins....and two are black and two are white...it is a really cool family.

Quoting FinallyaMommy2:

LOVE your siggy! Oh yeah, the story is cool too! Thanks for posting!

I am a motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

lenalove
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:20 PM
i saw this a few years ago.

Want a new siggy? Just ask! I love to make them:)

Schleetle
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Thats pretty cool...

tretresmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM

That is pretty cool

Moms Birthday Wishes

rebabeach2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:24 PM

That title, "Mixed Race Twins" is so annoying to me. Sorry Kelly, I know you just cut and pasted it from the news heading but the media is using the wrong words here. Technically twins being of mixed race isn't accurate for what has happened here. There are LOTS of "mixed race" twins out there! What is news worthy here is the way the chromosomes in charge of pigmentation split - one child got one set of pigmentation and the other child got the other set. The media needs to be more accurate in reporting - even when it is just the title.

KRISTYLOVE
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM
That is so cool I wonder if that would happen to us?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)