Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you feel when you had to go back to work?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

My husband's concrete business has hit a slow period like it does every year around this time and we've decided that I need to go back to work part time. I have plenty of family to leave my 9 month old with and she will probably stay with my husband most of the time because I will be working weekends. I know that she will be taken care of but I can't help but feel depressed about it. I have never had to leave her with anybody for more than a couple hours and my nerves are shot from thinking about having to leave her long enough to go to work. I am seriously freaking out about this and I know it's silly but I can't help it. Did any of you feel the same way about returning to work? I could cry right now. Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redhottmama01
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Your baby will be fine...she is with her daddy.It would be harder if she had to go to daycare.At least she is with her daddy.I actually never felt that way,I was glad to go to work,but I have had to use daycare centers or babysitters.I had to find the right ones,so i would feel good about the care they got.No worries mama...daddy will love taking care of her!good

mom2bega
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Thanks! I know I sound so silly. I over analyze things to the point that my stomach hurts from worrying. I know she'll be in good hands I think It's just separation anxiety.

sooga_booga
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Ecstatic... Maternity leave was more than enough time off from the office for me...  I've always been a WOHM.. Wouldn't have it any other way..

Some women love working.. Some women love being at home... 

I think you maybe having a problem because you may be feeling that this is forced.. That going back to work really isn't a choice you are making for your own reasons.. You feel you have to due to finances.. That could make you feel more pressure..

Whatever you end up doing.. Make the best out of it... That's one of the simplest easiest ways to cut down on heartache and headaches in life.. Make the best out of whatever situation you find yourself in, until you can change that situation to your liking..  =)

nurse2b208
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Just be grateful that she will be with family or your DH.  When you'll really have to worry is when daycare gets involved with people whom you don't know.  Your situation right now sounds like ours at the moment.  Our son is 8 months and he is either with his dad or my mom.  We haven't had to leave him with anyone else.  I work part time on the weekends and go to nursing school part time while his dad works full time and goes to school part time.  This is all going to change in the next month or so because I'm graduating and he is going to take more classes this semester and I am deathly terrified of leaving him with a stranger.  But that is what it's going to come to and we are just going to have to do our research, get references and talk to others who have their child in daycare.  Good luck!

gnr
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I kind of felt the same way when I returned to work.  But just think what you will have to look forward to when you get home everyday.  I can't wait to get home to my baby.  Plus sometimes I like having the away time even if it's just a few hours.  Any how good luck you both will adjust fine.

priceisright07
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM

The first day was the hardest for me, then it slowly got easier.But I still wish I didn't have to leaver her every day.I am on maternity leave right now, just had #2, and I am going to have to go threw this again in Feb.But you have to do what you have to do.

BabyDrewmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I been back to work for 4 months now and its as hard as it was when i first started...I hate it

Bellas_Mommy08
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I am the same way. I went back to college last semester when dd was 5 months. I left her with dh or my mom. But I hated leaving so a lot of times I wouldn't go and I didn't get good grades at all. I'm thinking about not going back right now. Just wait until she gets older. I hate leaving her! I don't leave her hardly at all now and she is 11 months. I'm sorry. I don't have any advice because I am exactly the same way!

ArleneE
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I had my son c section in sept and started back as a waitress around june 6th.  just summer months tourist season and it was great the restaurant i worked at was only open 11-5 and I was only like 5 minutes away and my boss was very understanding and told me from the beginning if at any time I have to go because of babysitter just let her know and they would cover for me until i got back and there were days that my husband was home that they would call me in if they got busy.  try it, but look for a work where they are accommodating to you and it will make you returning to work easier on you and the baby.  We are expecting out second child the end of March and they said they wanted me to call them as soon as i am ready to go to work for a few hours a week at first and then they get the busy time with bus toursend of july-early oct.  There is also a chance that they want my assistance running it this year as well.  I know you will hate doing it but the only thing that helped me back to work was knowing I was help provide for my little guy the things i wanted for him.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM

It was tough. I had been home for 3 1/2 years by the time I went back to work. What is nice though is I work right next door and can come home if needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)