Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shoulder Dystocia

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM
  • 3 Replies

this happened to me when i was in labor and it resulted in a episiotomy. my baby was stuck for about a minute and a half. her little head was out and her face was blue there was a lot of panic in the delivery room and one of the nurses pinned my legs up to try and get the baby out. my knees were literally touching my shoulders. when she came out everyone thought that they bruised her cuz she had a big green patch on her right shoulder and a smaller one on her left elbow.

has this happened to anyone else?? im just curious.

feeding babygroombride
   Im a New Mom to MaliAleena
          and Wife to Victor

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Hi mommywife2b

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

|The CafeMom Admin Team

SCmommy106
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM

My sister went through this when she delivered her second child and he ended up with a broken clavical, mostly because her dumb ass doctor wasn't even in the room when the baby was comming out.

Forget-me-not
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM

This is a an occurance in which the babies shoulders are not entering into the  are not entering into the pelvis properly and can happen  with babies of any size but seem s to happen most when mom are pushing in the lithotomy ( flat on their back ) next time however you don't need an episiotomy to fix it though simply tell you midwife/ob to use the Gaskin maneuver. You would flip over on all fours most often this is enough to release the baby but if not or you can have them try the Woods manouver  This is also known as the corkscrew, the attendant tries to turn the shoulder of the baby by placing fingers behind the shoulder and pushing in 180 degrees. I'm sorry that that happened it can be very scary.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 12, Abby 8 and  BABY BOY  In June. Ask me about freebirthing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)