Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What could this be? (PIOG) *UPDATE 1/3/08

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM
  • 25 Replies

My son had a spot on his lower back that looked like he had scratched it on something, nothing out of the ordinary for him.  I went and gave him a bath and when I was drying him off I noticed it was no longer a scratch it was red spots ALL over his back.  At first not too obvious, but by the time he got dressed and we went downstairs they were very visible.  His bath wasn't a "real" bath, he just had water on him, b/c it was more of a play time bath.  He's trying to scratch them, and it's obvious it's bothering him.  He hasn't came across anything new so I can't see how it would be an allergic reaction to something, and it's only on his back.  He's not running a fever, that I can tell, and he's acting normal so I'm not too worried, unless it gets worse.  Here are a few pictures...  (I put up multiple ones  b/c some look better than others.

I took him to the doctor this morning, and she said it was one of two things.  One something he had touched (allergic reaction) or two it was a viral thing, b/c he started throwing up this morning, so mostl ikely not a reaction.  But she gave me a prescription for some steroid cream and told me to give him lots of fluids, so hopefully it will start to fade soon.  Thanks for all the advice.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelseyNovy87
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM

my only thought would be chicken pox. you said he's scratching them, and i know chicken pox itch. but idk if a fever would be present right away or not. my ds hasn't had them yet, and i was so little when i had mine.

Danielle692
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM

was the bath hot? well warm? if it was, or wasn't  put him in a hot bath as hot as he can take, if more come out it is deff chicken pox!! the hot water makes them come out faster witch will help with getting over them faster bc it doesnt take as long for them to come and go  but i would deff say chicken pox! any questions pm me

peachay05
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM

My little brother is just getting over scabes, and this is exactly what he looked like. I'm no doctor, but I would take him to his pediatrition just in case.

mommylovehug
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I'll try that, his baths are normally pretty hot, he's like me, he loves the water hot.  But he's about to get his "real" bath here in afew so we'll see how it goes.

Quoting Danielle692:

was the bath hot? well warm? if it was, or wasn't  put him in a hot bath as hot as he can take, if more come out it is deff chicken pox!! the hot water makes them come out faster witch will help with getting over them faster bc it doesnt take as long for them to come and go  but i would deff say chicken pox! any questions pm me

messijessi
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

if hes been in the grass l8ly it looks like i get when i sit in the grass . but if not it kinda looks like chicken pox.

mommywife2b
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

good job on being calm cuz if it was my baby, we would be in someones e.r. or i would be on the phone with her ped.

my advice, call your sons ped and talk to them about it. if u cant get in touch with one, go to the hospital.

Good luck

feeding babygroombride
   Im a New Mom to MaliAleena
          and Wife to Victor

kensgiril69
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Well mommy it could be anything...; my daughter gets spots liek this from the cold and my son gets the same kinda rash from heat..... my kids are opposites..... and not being RUDE.. buit do you vax.... there have been a very large numbers of meseal cases being reported... and they look more like measeals to me that pox...... call your DR and ask them they should be able to help you more..... As far as the hot water thing that can make even measeals show up more so cant really tell you the difference..... sorry I know this is not much help and I am not trying to come across as rude either i have a headache and everything coming out my mouth right now seems rude lol...... good luck momma

Bizymom24
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I think hand, foot and mouth disease has a rash with it. Don't quote me on that though. And I think it is accompanied by a fever though. Maybe some other moms can help me out with this?!

mommylovehug
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Naw it's fine, I do vax, EXCEPT the chicken pox vax, but ALL other ones he has got.  Unfortunately we live 3 hours away from his ped, and insurance allows us to only go to the place where our insurance says, so we are having to switch it.  I'm contacting his dr anyways just to see if they think he needs to go to the er or what.

Quoting kensgiril69:

Well mommy it could be anything...; my daughter gets spots liek this from the cold and my son gets the same kinda rash from heat..... my kids are opposites..... and not being RUDE.. buit do you vax.... there have been a very large numbers of meseal cases being reported... and they look more like measeals to me that pox...... call your DR and ask them they should be able to help you more..... As far as the hot water thing that can make even measeals show up more so cant really tell you the difference..... sorry I know this is not much help and I am not trying to come across as rude either i have a headache and everything coming out my mouth right now seems rude lol...... good luck momma

one_white_rose
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM

atopic dermititus will do that to if it was chicken pox or measels it would be all over not just on the back my daughter has atopic dermititus and her rashes always look just like that and are usually confined to one spot on her body when she gets flare ups nevertheless he needs to see a dr as soon as possible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)