Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i regret not saying anything, but was it my place?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

while at work today a family of 4 came in. ( mother,father boy about 9 and a little girl about 4) while i was checking them out i look down and the little girl it picker nose. i giggled to myself ( not out loud) the the father reaches over and smacks the little girls had but hit her in the face too... i heard it!!!( her had was on her face.) the mother looks down and says "i don't know why she's crying i told her the nice way". ( so the next step is to hit her??!!)i went from having a grin on my face to giving him a dirty look. i wanted to say something SOOOO bad!  i do regret not saying anything even thought i would have gotten in major trouble at work. i told my boss and he told he hes glad i didn't say anything...that's it was my business.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Queenof8Bratz
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Unfortunate you were at work, and yes your boss is right. Being on the job that would have been inappropriate even as much as you wanted to say something. Sick sense of humor though my kids have and still do this in public, I just ask if they are going knuckle deep!!!!!

seniortmb07
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM

If the mother only told her once & then the daughter got hit, that's not the way to go, UNLESS they have been trying to break her from it. BUT he shouldn't have it her hard enough to hit her hand to her face or whatever. To pop her hand would have been just fine, if it were my child, I would have pulled her hand away & THEN popped her hand.

*****Ready for this? I'm 20 years old, with my first son on the way who just so happens to be mixed, high school graduate, planning on going back to college, Army Reserves kind of mom. I will formula feed, share my room with my son, won't let him CIO, will use disposable diapers, live at home with my mom. I'm not with his father and not sure where we stand at the moment but he is still involved, and I feed him the good stuff b/c I don't need junk food. I will continue on in my life without so much of a blink your way unless what you say is helpful and not rude. So thank you, I'm a young mom determined to break the stereotype b/c young mom's do it best!!*****

boobra
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM

my older brothers would say stuff like that when i was vary little. lol.

Quoting Queenof8Bratz:

Unfortunate you were at work, and yes your boss is right. Being on the job that would have been inappropriate even as much as you wanted to say something. Sick sense of humor though my kids have and still do this in public, I just ask if they are going knuckle deep!!!!!

boobra
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM

i wouldnt have been so mad if he done that ( in red) but hit her in her face? i felt so bad for her :(

Quoting seniortmb07:

If the mother only told her once & then the daughter got hit, that's not the way to go, UNLESS they have been trying to break her from it. BUT he shouldn't have it her hard enough to hit her hand to her face or whatever. To pop her hand would have been just fine, if it were my child, I would have pulled her hand away & THEN popped her hand.

Anabella72
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Unless its an obvious case of abuse - such as a punch or a kick, its not your business. The parent has the right to discipline the child so long as its not "abusive." It can be a fine line. But, you were at work, it doesnt sound like it was much of a hit - probably just more humiliating for the child than anything. Butt out. You did the right thing.
Jules297
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I agree...and you've been with them for what a few minutes? If that?

Quoting Anabella72:

Unless its an obvious case of abuse - such as a punch or a kick, its not your business. The parent has the right to discipline the child so long as its not "abusive." It can be a fine line. But, you were at work, it doesnt sound like it was much of a hit - probably just more humiliating for the child than anything. Butt out. You did the right thing.

PrincessofPaul
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Maybe he didn't realize he hit her in the face.  I like to think that he was not intentionally trying to hit her in the face, just on the hand.  I agree he should have pulled her hand away first, but at times we don't think. 

I would have smacked my kids hand as well (granted I would have moved it first)  It is gross and even at that age you know better.  It reminds me of the lady at the grocery store who saw a kid wiping boogers on tomatoes..and she went over and threw them all away.  I don't want some kids nastiness on the things I buy. Eww.

boobra
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM

my daughter tries to pick her nose all the time. i move hand and tell her not to do it.( my daught doesnt do it anymore) i don't smack her. people can parent THERE children any way they want. all I'm saying it i thought it was pretty mean of him to smack her that hard and hitting her face.

besides... i was abused as a child and when we were out he made sure if he had to hit us it wasn't as bad as it would be when we got home. ( not saying he did that to his daughter) so excuse me if i feel bad for children that get hit over something so dumb.

Quoting Jules297:

I agree...and you've been with them for what a few minutes? If that?

Quoting Anabella72:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)