Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weird breastfeeding question.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

We're thinking about having another child, and I will breastfeed. But what I'm wondering is when I do, and my son asks about it, what if he asks to try it... Do I tell him no? Or should I let him? He would only be 2 1/2-3.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Did you bf your son? Just explain that is how some babies are fed and when the baby gets bigger he'll drink and eat just like big brother. Keep your answers simple.

Μολών λαβέ

Rachel315
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Yes, I did.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Did you bf your son? Just explain that is how some babies are fed and when the baby gets bigger he'll drink and eat just like big brother. Keep your answers simple.

WhiteTigerLily
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM

LOL I had wondered about this too. My son was bf but only til 6 months. He knows what it is now, and he calls it booby milk for the baby lmao. He has not asked to have some but he did get upset the other day cause he wanted to give her booby milk from his boobies , and I had to try to explain to him that only the mommy has booby milk. lmao!! I don't think he totally understood but he has't asked since . My daughter is 1 mo old. It was funny too before her cord fell of fhe thought it was her penos lmao!! I had o show him that it was a belly button, not a peepee. Kids crack me up.

BreannazMomma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Um, I'm thinking that I wouldn't.  I mean, I wouldn't let my DD start drinking out of a bottle again b/c I had another baby.  That's the way I think of it anyway.  Just my opinion.

Rachel315
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM

AWWE!!! That is too sweet!

Quoting WhiteTigerLily:

LOL I had wondered about this too. My son was bf but only til 6 months. He knows what it is now, and he calls it booby milk for the baby lmao. He has not asked to have some but he did get upset the other day cause he wanted to give her booby milk from his boobies , and I had to try to explain to him that only the mommy has booby milk. lmao!! I don't think he totally understood but he has't asked since . My daughter is 1 mo old. It was funny too before her cord fell of fhe thought it was her penos lmao!! I had o show him that it was a belly button, not a peepee. Kids crack me up.

soccerchik8287
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM

in what to expect the first year (or maybe it was the toddler years) I read that one of the best things to do if an older child asks to try it is to let them. Most of the time they evidently are like eww and end up feeling sorry that the baby has to drink that while they get juice/kool aid or whatever. So if you were comfortable with that that is what I would do. Other than that, just explain that that is how babies eat because they are not big enough to use a cup, and it gives them what they need to grow into big kids like him. Good luck! :)

momaloveof3
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Just tell him its the baby's milk or food cuz he/she can't have anything else.  IF he wants to try some try pumping and putting it in a cup.  One thing I learned is don't hide if from your oldest, it will just make him more curious about it.  Also put some special toys together and or movies just for when you do nurse.  It will be easier.  And make sure you have a snack or drink for him too.  Or he is going to want you to get it for him when he see you nursing.

Rachel315
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Thank You!!

Quoting soccerchik8287:

in what to expect the first year (or maybe it was the toddler years) I read that one of the best things to do if an older child asks to try it is to let them. Most of the time they evidently are like eww and end up feeling sorry that the baby has to drink that while they get juice/kool aid or whatever. So if you were comfortable with that that is what I would do. Other than that, just explain that that is how babies eat because they are not big enough to use a cup, and it gives them what they need to grow into big kids like him. Good luck! :)

candygirl1030
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM

My son was 2 1/2 when I had my daughter- he of course wanted to try breastfeeding just like her so I let him- as soon as he sucked hard enough to get a mouthful he said "Yucky!"  That was the end of that and he was happy to have his cup.  :)

jordynsmommy05
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I nursed my almost 4 year old daughter until she was 2. She asked about why my son who is almost a month old doesn't need milk from the fridge and why he "eats" my boobs. I told her because he's drinking boob milk just like she used to when she was a baby. She now asks me if i need water or a book or a blanket when i'm nursing him. She has been a big help from time to time. And she doesn't mind sharing her mommy long enough for her brother to be happy and to be full or boob milk. She even wants to teach him how to use a cup when he's big enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)