Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would rather pay for his cigarettes than deal with his attitude (vent)

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I just let him smoke, or tough it out?

Options:

Deal with it

Buy the cigs

other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I smoked my last cigarette new years eve. SO and I decided to quit cold turkey.

I smoked for 6 years, yesterday was complete hell, but now today I feel a little better. I don't really have any cravings for cigarettes, but I really wish I could say the same for SO.

He is driving me nuts, I'm ready to just drive to the gas station, pick up a pack, and tell him to smoke them or he will die in his sleep.

Today he WHINED the entire day about how much he wanted a smoke. Then, in the evening, we went to the store. He pulled over half way there and screamed that If I didn't like his driving, then I could drive and got out and walked the rest of the way. All I had done was make a little sound when he almost hit the car in front of us.

He also bitched out a Mcdonalds worker (she didn't do anything) and broke the door handle on my car. He dropped the kids and I off at home a little while ago (thankfully) and I have no idea where he went. I have never seen him this angry before, especially not over something as dumb as a cigarette...

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
peachay05
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM

give him a week or so, it might not be so easy for him. it hopefully will get better mamma!

Trisenneth
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:31 PM

i quit three weeks ago cold turkey,, so congrats to you!!

husband tried and lasted 24 hours, bitched and moaned so much that i told him to find a way to deal with it so he went and caved and bought a pack,, men are such babies!!

besides after four days the nicotine leaves the body so no craving but the mental aspect is the hardest

candygirl1030
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:31 PM

If you and SO have health insurance talk to the dr about chantix- it works wonderful and may help him (and you) deal with any cravings.  As for his bad attitude- it is withdrawal for sure- try and be as patient as possible.  Good luck. :)

jazzyandpat
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM

i quite cold turkey for a year and picked back up again. bad bad me. the first 3 days was nothing but hell for my family. i felt bad for the kids and on top of it all i was pmsing at the same time.after the first 3 days it got better after the first full week i was back to my self again.it will get better mamma just dont give in

mom23luvs
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM

DH just quit. He bought a pack of Black & Milds and when he would get the urge he would go outside (he only smoked outside) and take a few puffs of the B&M. That went on for about a week then he got over the withdrawals and now is smoke free  :-)

But it was HELL. And so worth it. I almost caved a few times myself and actually even went so far as to buy him a pack but didn't tell him. I'm one of those people who smokes when they drink (not very often) and doesn't get addicted. So, I ended up smoking the pack because he was driving me insane, but I only did it at night when he was knocked out.

kaitlynsmom526
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM

DH and I have decided to quit cold turkey too. I haven't smoked since 9 pm last night and he hasn't smoked since 9 am this morning. He is being such an ass about it though. He keeps saying well, I've been smoking longer and its harder for me because I'm a tow truck driver and I see a lot of messed up stuff and that's how I cope. Well, Quit making excuses, if your gonna quit deal with it, if not then go get a pack and quit being an ass!!!!

BCGirl
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:47 PM

lol...............omg..........he sounds like me. I have smoked over 30 years.......if I go one day without one I am hell to live with.  I do not mean to be.  It is the addiction.  I even wake up in the night with sweats from a lack of nicotine. Which has only started happening with in the last few month.  At first I thought I was going thru the mid life change, but when I have a cig it stops. So I am wondering if Philip Morris isn't putting more addictive additives in their product.  I have never felt this way for 30 years, and it seems the more I smoke the more I want to smoke.....Like I just am not getting the satisfaction like I use to from this brand.  And I have always been under a 20 cigarette a day smoker. Now I am up to 30. 

So give him grace for a couple of days.  Statistics show after 3 days,  the addiction side effects should subside.  But I still haven't been able to kick the habit myself for over 10 days.....in 30 years.

Good luck to you both.

m0m23b0ys458
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Seriously?It only took three days to get better?Hmmm....I've never made it past a few hours when I quit,but now you've given me hope that maybe I could quit.LOL.

OP,I was originally going to say "just go buy him a pack"(I'm such an enabler.lol),but from reading the posts,it seems he should be better before long.And it really would be better if he could quit(which I'm sure you know).Good luck though.

Quoting jazzyandpat:

i quite cold turkey for a year and picked back up again. bad bad me. the first 3 days was nothing but hell for my family. i felt bad for the kids and on top of it all i was pmsing at the same time.after the first 3 days it got better after the first full week i was back to my self again.it will get better mamma just dont give in

mama2my4
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I was just telling my Dh the other day that I was wondering what is going on with the cigs. Im smoking more in a day than I have in the 18 years Ive been smoking, wow that is alongggg time I was 13 when I started, I did quit 3 times once for a year but always ended up back at it, anyway as soon as Im done I dont even feel like Ive smoked one and need another one.

Quoting BCGirl:

lol...............omg..........he sounds like me. I have smoked over 30 years.......if I go one day without one I am hell to live with.  I do not mean to be.  It is the addiction.  I even wake up in the night with sweats from a lack of nicotine. Which has only started happening with in the last few month.  At first I thought I was going thru the mid life change, but when I have a cig it stops. So I am wondering if Philip Morris isn't putting more addictive additives in their product.  I have never felt this way for 30 years, and it seems the more I smoke the more I want to smoke.....Like I just am not getting the satisfaction like I use to from this brand.  And I have always been under a 20 cigarette a day smoker. Now I am up to 30. 

So give him grace for a couple of days.  Statistics show after 3 days,  the addiction side effects should subside.  But I still haven't been able to kick the habit myself for over 10 days.....in 30 years.

Good luck to you both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)