Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

when do w-2's come out?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM
  • 19 Replies

hubby and i are hoping to do our taxes early this year(usually we are pushing it to get them in!) with the baby coming we want alittle cushion so are hoping to get it done right after we get them.when do the w-2's get sent out...is it the end of this month?? and if we do it right after we get them, how soon should we get them back(for anyone that does them early...)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

pregnancy calendar
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM

By law you must recieve them by the end of January.

MaMomToTwo
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM

They're supposed to be in hand by the end of the month. It all depends on the employer though - some wait until the last minute, others just give it to you whenever they get it done. Last year, DH got his around the 25th or so, we e-filed within a few days, and got our refund back via direct deposit on Feb. 7th.

-mamom (!) ...to.two. /wifetoo.

bouncing mom

jenfraker
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I believe the law is that they are supposed to be postmarked by Jan 31st and as soon as you get all your W-2's, you can file right away.  You have some time and the sooner you file, the quicker you will receive your return.

Zcrewmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM

At the end of the month. We use W2xpress, so we get our w2 on line about a week earlier than if sent. Also, once you send in your return (if direct deposit) it usually takes about 2 weeks. Thats how its been for us anyway =)

~Kristen, mommy to, Ashley (7), Chloe (5), Rian (3) & Katelyn (11-5-08).

Zcrewmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Also 1-3 days (dont remember exactly) after you file you can go on the irs site and check the status of your return. It will tell you when your return will be direct deposited into you bank.

Mommy4two
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM

If you do it yourself and efile your recieve it within 2 weeks. You can go to H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt and get it with in a few days for an extra fee "I've personally never done this'

ljsmamma07
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM

ive never heard of w2xpress...we usually use turbo tax and do it ourselves.last year my cousin was working for h&r block but she put down the account number wrong so we had to wait longer to get our refund...and she couldnt do our state or city so i ended up having to do it anyways!wont do that again!

Quoting Zcrewmommy:

At the end of the month. We use W2xpress, so we get our w2 on line about a week earlier than if sent. Also, once you send in your return (if direct deposit) it usually takes about 2 weeks. Thats how its been for us anyway =)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

pregnancy calendar
MaMomToTwo
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Quoting ljsmamma07:

ive never heard of w2xpress...we usually use turbo tax and do it ourselves.last year my cousin was working for h&r block but she put down the account number wrong so we had to wait longer to get our refund...and she couldnt do our state or city so i ended up having to do it anyways!wont do that again!

Quoting Zcrewmommy:

I think your employer has to have you registered with W2Express...it's not just a W-2 free-for-all.

-mamom (!) ...to.two. /wifetoo.

bouncing mom

Zcrewmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:56 AM

We use turbo tax as well. The W2xpress just gets your w2 to you sooner and online. We just print it out and fire up the good ole Turbo Tax and file. My husband heard about it from work, I think your work has to be set up with it as well, but I honestly am not sure. We have used it for the past 2 years and its nice to get it quicker, especially since his work always sends out the paper ones on the last day. Oh and Im dumb, lol, its W2express, i kept leaving off the 'e' >< sorry.

http://www.w2express.com/

Quoting ljsmamma07:

Quoting Zcrewmommy:

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 9:56 AM

they have to be post marked by Jan. 31.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)