Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I thought Delsym cough suppresant for 2 year olds was ok?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM
  • 16 Replies

I used it a few months ago for my son bc a pharmacist and his doc said it was ok.  There was a dose on there for 2 and up.  Now the box that I bought yesterday said "under 4-do not use"  Anyone heard of anything to do with this?  Should I just not do it now since it said not to under 4?

Cloth diapering-Pro Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Non-Vaccinating , Attachment Parenting, Organic Living, Christian, Pro-Life, Anti-Drama,  Free thinking Mom of 2 beautiful children!

by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommygallo2
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Maybe last time you bought pediatric or the pharmacist and doc told you how much to give.  So call your ins. carriers nurses hotline, Im sure if you take the dose and half it, it would be ok but remember Im not a doctor a nurse or a pharmacist, just a mommy so I would check with that nurses hotline.

emmasmama2007
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:41 PM

i've actually heard that cough medicine is not good for infants and young children, for a while now. I know it was taken off the market.

Meganskiddos
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:43 PM

I thought the same thing too, but I found the same bottle I used a couple months ago.  It was just about empty bc my dh used it also.  It wasn't adult or pedi, it was just one for all type thing.  THere was a dose for 2-4 yr olds 4-6, 6-12 and 12 and older.  This one is different.  I don' tknow....hmm....I will call though. Thanks.

Quoting mommygallo2:

Maybe last time you bought pediatric or the pharmacist and doc told you how much to give.  So call your ins. carriers nurses hotline, Im sure if you take the dose and half it, it would be ok but remember Im not a doctor a nurse or a pharmacist, just a mommy so I would check with that nurses hotline.

Cloth diapering-Pro Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Non-Vaccinating , Attachment Parenting, Organic Living, Christian, Pro-Life, Anti-Drama,  Free thinking Mom of 2 beautiful children!

Meganskiddos
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I don't think this was one that was taken off.  I don't know for sure though.  I thought it was just the major cough meds.  This isn't a cold med, just a cough suppresant.  I will call the hotline though.  THanks.

Quoting emmasmama2007:

i've actually heard that cough medicine is not good for infants and young children, for a while now. I know it was taken off the market.

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM

The FDA stopped recomondations for giving kids under 4 yrs. any OTC meds due to a find that they could cause serious side effects in children like brain bleeds. They were also having lots of reports of children being overdosed due to people using too much of a med or using multiple OTC meds together unaware that they may contain one or more of the same meds.

Plus: Some parents were actually giving their babies benadryl so they'd slep at night.

LEJOLIE
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:53 PM

ALL COUGH MEDS HAVE NEW DOSAGES ON THEM .I WENT TO GET ROBUTTISM FOR DD WHO IS 5 AND IT SAID NOT FOR UNDER 12!  I SPOKE TO PHARMIST WHO PULLED OUT THE GENERIC (TUSSIN DM ) WSICH WAS OKAY HE TOLD ME 1/2 TEASPOON)  MY 21 MONTH OLD IS COUGHING ALSO BUT I DONT DO COUGH MEDS FOR HIM. IT USUALLY TAKES 10 days For a CouGH TO RUN.

Meganskiddos
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Thanks ladies

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 12:12 AM

No Cough and Cold Meds for Kids Under Four

Posted by Chrissie Cole
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:40 AM EST

Manufacturers of over-the-counter (OTC) pediatric cough and cold medicines are advising parents not to give them to children under four years of age.

“Leading makers of these medications are voluntarily transitioning the labeling on oral over the counter pediatric cough and cold medications to state “do not use in children four years of age and under,” said a statement issued Tuesday by the Consumer Healthcare Products Association.

“We think this was the right thing to do for the parents,” said Linda Suydam, president of the Consumer Healthcare Products Association.

By instructing parents not to give these medications to children under 4, the new label sends the message that these medications are "safe and effective" for children 4 and over. This assertion is not true, said Public Citizen in a press release.

A recent published study demonstrated that OTC cough and cold medications have not been proven to be effective in children under 12.

Medications baring new warning labels will begin appearing in pharmacies and stores immediately, although, experts are still debating at what age they may be safe and effective.

The new labeling also advises against using antihistamines to sedate young children.

In January, the FDA issued a public health advisory warning about over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicines for babies and toddlers under the age of two.

Each year 7,000 children under the age of 11 are taken to the hospital due to adverse reactions from cough and cold medications, most commonly the result of accidental overdoses. Adverse reactions include hives, difficulty breathing and dizziness.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that from 2004-2005, 1,519 children under two were treated in emergency rooms from an overdose of the cold medications. Overdosing can occur when parents give two different products with the same active ingredients or give too much of a dose too frequently.

Last year, an FDA advisory panel voted to remove all over-the-counter pediatric cough and cold products for children younger than 6 years of age.

“I am disheartened that the FDA has not complied with the recommendations made by its own advisory panel,” Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) said. “Another cold and flu season is nearly upon us, yet, commonly available products are still being marketed to parents of small children despite experts raising serious questions regarding their safety effectiveness.”

At an FDA hearing on October 2, consumer and medical groups clashed over the issue of over the counter cough and cold medications for children, with some groups calling on the agency to pull them off of shelves and make them available by prescription only.

That could affect as many as 800 cough and cold medications in the U.S. market.

The agency is collecting more scientific research before they make a decision, said Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

In the meantime, parents can visit OTC Safety for information and resources about safe dosages and using over-the-counter medications.

elektrikoolaide
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Well, the funny thing is that I gave my dd Delsym tonight. Since New Years Eve shes had bronchitis(sp?). My dad is our family doctor and specifically recommended Delsym. Its just that people were abusing and misusing cough and cold medicine for their small children. As long as its approved by a doctor and you are comfortable with it, I don't see the problem. Good luck, hope your baby feels better!

samzmom9607
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I'm a certified pharm tech and what I can tell everybody is that n about the last year the CDC and FDA have deemed all otc cough/cold meds ineffective for children under the age of 4 some have even published the age of 6 so the only time I would administer these meds to a child is under the specific guidance of a doctor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN