Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Desperate...

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 7:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
I am having GREAT difficulty w/ my 4.5 year old.  While we have "family" nap time, whe wakes earlier than me and gets up, leaves the house without my knowlege or permission and goes across the street to the neighbors house.  She did this fore the 2nd time today and I am soooooo scared for her safety.  What can I do?  She unlocks the door and gets out.  There are several ways to get out of my house and even though all access doors are locked she finds a way to unlock them and get out.  HELP< PLEASE I'm DESPERATE.   thanx
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyvamp5489
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM
we had the same problem with my 6 yr old  when he was younger  and we bought those locks that you can put up high on your doors   that  allow you to lock them where the kids cant reach the lock.   it has worked  for us  and they are not too pricey  either!  good luck
goth_mama
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 7:45 PM
chain locks.
trasynnsmom
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 7:47 PM

maybe put one of those slide chain locks at the very top of the door. i would also discipline her and let her know she  can't go outside without you and definately not to the neighbors. if all else fails bust her butt every time she does and eventually she'll quit. mine used to run out of the house too, coupla spankins and she quit. lol hope i helped

maciastwin
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Say if you have family nap time in mommy's room, you can always add a lock up high on the door and she won't be able to get out, and just make sure their aren't any chairs that she can push up to the door.  Also let her know that she won't be able to play with her friend if she disobeys the rules of always "asking mommy" before she can play.

sbgrn1
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 2:28 AM
Thanx, my husband is a Lt in the Fire Dept and is working nights tonight , so when I told him of this he was just beside himself and didn't know what to say. I ended up taking all her toys out of her room after a LONG speaking to, and now she has to earn all of her toys back.  Plus on the way home tomorrow (which I guess is actually today) he is stopping at home depot to buy those locks. She just doesn't get it, that someone might take her away from us and harm her.
Thanks for your help.
AprilT
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 4:01 AM

I haven't seen this item in a very long time, but I remember our family adding something to the back screen door (we just wanted it left open to let in fresh air) that was like a little battery powered burglar alarm -- very very loud when the door opened and the connection was broken.   If your child insists on trying to escape and sets off a loud alarm, it might be worthwhile.

I just googled the battery powered door alarm and found this site which might have some helpful information or items you might want to see or consider.  At least if there was an alarm, it would wake you.  Hope all works out safely.

http://www.bizrate.com/safety_security/products__keyword--door+alarm.html

jpsbaby
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 4:25 AM
I would also see about putting in a doubled keyed deadbolt. That way she would have to have a key to get out. I had this problem with my older boys and my father in law put them on my doors and the problem was solved. I was 7 months pregnant and on bed rest and my husband had just went back active duty in the Navy when it all started. The chain locks are good too. Also you can buy the battery powered alarms at the Dollar Tree. My mother in law just got me two of them because my 4 year old was taking his little sister out to play in the mornings and not waking me up and since the house was a rental we was not aloud to change the locks. But now that we are buying a home we are putting in the double keyed deadbolts. I hope this helped.
Jillysmom
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 4:42 AM
I was just gonna tell you about the battery powered alarms but someone beat me to it,lol. They sell them at Wlamart, Target and Home Depot, if it helps any. I are about $10 for 4 or 6 of them. I would add one your all your doors, As soon as the connection is broke they go off, And are pretty lou. Good Luck
Charla74
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 6:53 AM
When we moved to our house our son was about 2 yrs old.. He would open the front door all the time to try and get out.. we just went and bought chain locks and put them up as high as we could to the top of the door and it worked wonders.. Until he figured out he was tall enough with a  chair to unlock it... but, that was yrs later... Good luck.. I hope it helps...

Charla
Charla74
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 6:55 AM

Quoting AprilT:

I haven't seen this item in a very long time, but I remember our family adding something to the back screen door (we just wanted it left open to let in fresh air) that was like a little battery powered burglar alarm -- very very loud when the door opened and the connection was broken.   If your child insists on trying to escape and sets off a loud alarm, it might be worthwhile.

I just googled the battery powered door alarm and found this site which might have some helpful information or items you might want to see or consider.  At least if there was an alarm, it would wake you.  Hope all works out safely.

http://www.bizrate.com/safety_security/products__keyword--door+alarm.html

You can also buy these door alarms at Wal-Mart.. I did a few yrs ago for friends. They are so loud and ear pierceing.. and probably scare the crap out of her...lol...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN