Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

CafeMom FAQs - Questions and Answers (abbreviations)

Posted by   + Show Post

This info can always be found on the 1st page of The Newcomers Club in the CafeMom FAQs - Questions and Answers (abbreviations) post.

Welcome to The Newcomers Club! Introduce Yourself and Get Started Here!!!    
Recommended Groups    
Profile Pages - Widget FAQs and Tips for Setting Up Your CafeMom Page

This CafeMom Group is dedicated to Profile Pages...   
Toadily Grand Slammin Profiles

Abbreviations (dh, dd, piog, bump)- Scroll down to the 1st reply for common abbreviations.
Signatures - Scroll down to the 2nd reply for Signature set up information.
More common site questions and answers can be found in the 3rd reply below.

How do I add a Background to my Page?
To add a background, click on 'Privacy+Settings' at the very top of every page.  Then, on the left,  click on 'Customize Homepage'.    You can choose different layouts for your background and change the fonts and colors on your page.  There are many different widgets that you can add to your page, too.

How do I add Friends?
Make New Friends on CafeMom!

To send a friend invitation, go to someone's page and click on the "Invite as a friend" link under their picture.  Once the other Mom accepts your invtation, you will be friends!

How do I add photos?
If you want to add pictures to the photo section of your page, click on 'Add a Photo'.  You can set these photos for 'All' to see or for 'Friends only'.

You may also want to see the other photo widgets available for your page - Photos and Slideshows.

If you want to add photos to a post, click on the 'Add a photo' link above the text box, browse for a photo that you'd like to add and then click 'insert'. You may also be able to just copy and paste some pics right into the post.

How do I change my avatar?
To change your avatar (profile picture), click 'privacy+settings' (top) - then click 'photo/avatar' on the left. Upload a photo or choose a new image.
Make sure you click 'save' after you upload your new avatar. Your screen may need to refresh a few times before the new avatar appears.

How do I add or change photos and info in the Kids section?
To add kids or change/delete any info about your kids on your profile, click on 'Privacy+Settings' (at the top of the page). Then click on 'Kids' on the left.
To Add/Edit/Delete something, click on the rectangle in the Edit/Delete column next to that child and then make your changes. Be sure to 'Save' your changes when you're done.

How do I keep track of group posts?
Click on... My Posts and My Replies.
These choices can be found by clicking on the Groups tab at the top of every page.

How do I promote my Groups?
Here are some tips on how to promote your CafeMom Group:

1. Create a Signature that links to your Group.  Everytime you post, members will have a chance to learn about your Group!
2. Invite the new members to join your group
3. Use the CafeMom Toolbar to post your signature on other sites -including email messages!
4. Post a link to your Group on The Newcomers Club Recommended Groups thread.
5. Use the Invite Friends link (under the Moms tab) to create a banner for your Group.  You can post that Group banner on Myspace and other sites that you use!
6. Use the Mom Search to find Moms that may be interested in joining your Group.
7. Use the Promote Your Group link (located on the left side of your Group's homepage) to add you Group to the Groups Seeking Members forum.
8. Post a Journal entry about your Group.
Do your best to get the word out!

How do I add a Video to a Group post?
Click 'Post a Journal Entry' and then click 'Add a video'.
You'll see...
Add VideoPaste a YouTube URL:
(ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO04rXDTcMo)
Just paste the YouTube url (ex. above) into the box and upload.

How do I leave a Group after I join?
To leave a group that you've joined, click into the group, then under the group's description click 'edit your settings' - then click 'leave group'.
You can also click 'privacy+settings' (above) - scroll down and click 'change' next to the group. Then, click 'leave group' - there are other group options available there, too.

How do I delete a Group that I started?
To delete a group that you started, contact The CafeMom Team and they will take care of it for you! Just click Contact Us below.

How do I change my Screenname?
Once you've created your screenname, it can't be changed. You could start a new account with the screenname you would prefer.

How do I change my Password?
To change your password, click on 'privacy+settings' at the top of the page. Then, on the right, click on 'your basics'. You'll see an option to change your password.

How do I use my Chatterbox?
If someone leaves you a note in your chatterbox, you can write back to them in their chatterbox or send them a private message. Some Moms have disabled their chatterboxes. You can chat with another member using the chatterboxes.

The CafeMom Marketplace -
To visit the CafeMom Marketplace, click on the Share tab above and then click on Journals.  Scroll all the way down and you'll see Visit Marketplace on the right. That's where moms can post ads and promos.
To post in The CafeMom Marketplace, check the CafeMom Marketplace box at the end of your Journal post.

Contact CafeMom -
Anytime you have a question, problem, or suggestion for CafeMom, feel free to click on the "Contact Us" link - at the very bottom of every page.

The Newcomers Club Rules...

Please do not advertise or promote other sites (including signatures).
Please do not start posts to promote groups.
Please do not report or discuss inappropriate activity on the group.
Please do not complain about CafeMom, members or ther posts.
Please do not personally insult other members.
Please follow the CafeMom Community Guidelines.
Inappropriate posts may be locked or deleted.

If you have a question about a deleted or locked post, or if you have suggestion on how we can make this Group better, please send a private message to The Cafe GroupAdmin Team.

We appreciate reports and feedback from members and we keep all reports confidential. 

To report any inappropriate post, please click on the 'report this post/reply' link at the bottom of every post and reply.

Thank you for being a member of The Newcomers Club!

by on Aug. 16, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
Robin
by Head Admin on Nov. 28, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Quoting 30sweetangel30:

i think that i know what is up with it.  i had clicked one of the premade layouts when i first joined and that layout is still in there i think, when i changed it, i just did the background you know. i cant explain things the best sorry, but i have it figured out though
Quoting 30sweetangel30:

ok, i have lmost everything figured out but one thing. i want to change the color of the boxes, the ones where it says like "pics", "Chatterbox", "groups" but i cant see where i go to do that. i went into the place where you change colors and stuff but all that changes is the background of the box and the font color. i feel so silly.........

beautiful siggie made by Gwen

How do I customize my page and add a background?
Under your picture on your homepage, click on 'Colors + Styles'. 

You can upload a background picture (by clicking on 'advanced profile customizations') and you can choose different layouts. 

You'll also be able to change the fonts and colors on your page (those options are on the left).  

There are many different widgets that you can add to your page, too.
Robin
by Head Admin on Nov. 28, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Quoting ChattyKat:

How do you add a guest book? 

Hearts are fragile, handle with care.

My heart belongs to Charles, Angelgirl, Babee and Boo Boo Bear.

Here is how to add the Guestbook widget to your page:

Go to your CafeMom home page

Click on the ADD A WIDGET button

On the left beneath categories click More About Me Click the LEARN MORE button beneath Guest Book by Slide.com Beneath the sample click the Add this widget button.

Follow the instructions on how to create the Guestbook widget.

Copy the code and paste it into the box.

Click Save widget.

You can then return to your page and check out your new setting.

Robin
by Head Admin on Nov. 28, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Quoting AuntieV:

I have been looking all over but do not see any way to change the font and color of the text. How are you doing this?

To change the color and size of your text when posting, click on the font size to choose a size and click on the A (to the left of font size) to change text colors.  You can't change the style of font.  If you see that someone has a different style, they probably typed their post in a different program and then pasted it into their post.
Robin
by Head Admin on Nov. 28, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Quoting SuZQ:

Tell me...would you consider a journal post to be like a private diary made public? Could you explain what a journal post is actually supposed to be used for? Thanks.

Your journal posts stay on your page and can be like a personal diary - set to 'friends only' or set for 'everyone' to see.
kamimmula
by on Dec. 1, 2007 at 5:37 PM
hi and  thank you for this post. it is helpful.
Robin
by Head Admin on Dec. 2, 2007 at 1:00 PM
First, go to pyzam.com and get a tree.  On the left side of the tree scene, click to get a code.  Copy the myspace code and then come back to CafeMom. 

On your homepage, under your profile picture click on "Add a Widget' - then click on 'Graphics + Sparkle Text'.   The 'Christmas Tree' is listed there.  Add the Myspace code that you copied from pyzam and save your changes.

Let us know if you need help!  It should be easy.

commonsensemom
by on Dec. 4, 2007 at 1:53 AM
I knew some of the abbreviations, but I had no idea how many there are.  This will be very helpfull.  I have seen DH used in reference to husbands, and all I could come up with was Devoted Husband, Damned Husband, lol.  Now I know where to go for reference.   THANKS!!! :O) 

Robin
by Head Admin on Dec. 5, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Quoting DebTiMiLaSa:

Thanx a bunch!!!! You are a Godsend to me. I am new to chatgrps. online and I am as wet behind the ears when it comes to the lingo as a baby is to breathing on its own. LOL Appriciate much!!! Now if someone can tell me what's a widget?????
Widgets are the boxes on your page.  There are all dofferent kids of widgets available.  Basic ones that are already on your page, like the widget for friends, photos, journals, the chatterbox...  There are other widgets that are a lot of fun like the widget for music, slideshows, guestbooks, tickers, photo puzzles...

To add a widget to your homepage (or your profile page  - it works the same way), click the "Add a widget" button that is underneath your profile picture on your homepage.

You'll get to the "Widget Directory" which is a list of all of the widgets that CafeMom has right now (we'll be adding lots more). Pick the category that you are interested in, and then look through the different ones available in that category. Choose the one you want and click the "Learn More" button.

Then you can read about the widget and see a sample of what it might look like. Click the "Add this widget" button if you are ready to start setting it up.

For widgets that are from other sites, you will now go to a page that has directions about how to set the widget up. Most of these aren't hard, but they are a lot of steps. The directions will have a link to the other site that you can click on, and a new browser window or tab will open up.

On the other site, follow the directions that that offer (as well as our directions in the other window), and then when you are done, the other site should give you some HTML code that you can use on CafeMom. The CafeMom directions will tell you exactly which code to take from the other site, and once you've copied the code, just paste it into the "Paste Code Here" box that is at the bottom of the directions page on CafeMom.

Then you can just name your widget, set privacy options, and control which pages you want the widget to appear on, and it's all set up!

A good way to start is to try a glitter text or ticker widget, which are "easy" and quick to do. Videos, photos, slideshows and other widgets can take longer and are a bit more complex.
NewcomersAdmin
by on Dec. 9, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Quoting lexisandjayden:

printing it out, what a great idea, I was going to try to remember this post so I could fix my page.  Ty!!!

We will leave this post here so you can refer to it at any time!  This info will always be on the 1st page of The Newcomers Club.
NewcomersAdmin
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Quoting MommyNMay:

Here's an abbreviation I did not see listed, MLA??? What does that mean? I feel kinda stupid asking.

Hi,

I'm not sure what MLA stands for.  If you find out please let us know so we can add it to the list!

Have a great weekend!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN