Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you wear your engagement ring on your riight hand?!?!?!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay so i'm just curious have any of you ladies ever heard of a "hispanic tradition" where the girl wears her engagement ring on her right hand???? There's a girl I work with and she says it's a Mexican Tradition but i'm hispanic and so is a co-worker of mine who just so happens to be more traditional then me and her and neither of us have heard of it.... She says everyone does it yet she's the first person i've seen with her engagement ring on that hand..... I could be wrong though.... So have any of you ladies heard of it Mexican tradition or not..... I just want to know......

***By the way she barely got engaged along with 3 other girls i work with and none of them have their engagement on their right hand

**Everything happens for a reason... Never regret the past because without the Past there's no Present or Future. Everything is a lesson Lived and Learned to make us Stronger and Better**

by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kays_Mama06
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Uh.. I've never heard of it.

Kays_Mama06
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM

http://www.robbinsbros.com/engagement/engagement-world-traditions.asp

this is the only thing i could come up with..

desnnatesmom
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM

i'm hispanic(from colombia south america) and everyone wears the weeding and engagement rings on the right hand.

Kays_Mama06
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM

It actually depends on where you are from and what culture you are from/in. In some Western countries (UK, Ireland, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Iran, Italy, France, and Sweden), the wedding ring is worn on the left hand. In other countries such as Germany, Russia, India, Poland, Greece, Venezuela, Columbia and Spain, however, it is worn on the right hand. Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand. Jewish couples wear the wedding ring on the left hand, even though it is placed on the right hand during the marriage ceremony. In The Netherlands, Catholic people wear it on the left, all others on the right; in Austria, Catholic people wear it on the right. In Belgium, the choice of hand depends on the region of the country. Greek people, many being Orthodox Christians, also wear the wedding rings on the right hand in keeping with Greek tradition. A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom. The Latin word for left is "sinister", which in addition to this sense also has the same senses as the English word. The Latin word for right is "dexter", a word that evolved into "dexterity". Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_you_wear_wedding_ring_on_left_hand

Veronica.V

But she says you wear the engagement ring on the right hand and the wedding ring on the left hand so both on seperate hands........

Quoting desnnatesmom:

i'm hispanic(from colombia south america) and everyone wears the weeding and engagement rings on the right hand.

**Everything happens for a reason... Never regret the past because without the Past there's no Present or Future. Everything is a lesson Lived and Learned to make us Stronger and Better**

WildKat

I'm neither Mexican nor Hispanic but I used to do this.  Wedding band on the left, engagement ring on the right.  I did this because they didn't sit flush together and it just looked better that way.  I actually don't wear my engagement ring anymore because the setting is loose.  I need to get it fixed.

Peace,

Kat

Grneydmomof2
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Never heard of it.

Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM
I wore my promise ring on my right hand but my engagement is on my left.
Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM
I know someone that does this. But its because she has a thing about balance and she feels "off" if she has two rings on one hand.
Quoting Veronica.V:

RaulitosMommy
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

LOL I'm Mexican and i have NEVER  heard of that..onoy time I wear my engagement ring on my right is when I'm mad at my SO

tattooI am a tattoed, pierced, non-church going, public school sending, vaccinating, spanking, swear word using, bilingual teaching, MAC makeup obsessedLipstick 3, don't skinny dip-I chunky dunk, single mom of a beautiful boy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN