Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bottle Blues

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 7:55 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have a one and a half year old and trying to take him off the bottle.  it's soooooooo soooooo fusrtating!  Any solutions anyone  I need help!!!!!!
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lisasmith716
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 7:57 PM
I wish I could help.. I am not sure what you could do.   I am hoping when it comes time to get rid of the bottle for us it will go smoothly.. lol  *wishful thinking*

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
PeanuttysMomma
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 7:58 PM
Someone told me to replace the milk in the bottle with water and the sippy cup juice or water with milk. Didn't work for me cause my duaghter won't drink milk out of a sippy, but is lactose intolerant, so it doesn't matter anyway. I simply took her bottle away and give her a 50/50 juice with a solid breakfast in the morning. She doesn't even miss it. Hope that helps!!
Nicole27
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 8:02 PM
So far, for the 2 I've gotten off the bottle, I just took it away.  It took about a week (at most) for them to get over it.  It was a long week.  Mine were used to having it when they went to bed so I just gave them a sippy instead.  Sorry, that's all I can tell you.
pinkrose123
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 8:12 PM
He won't take milk from a sippy cup but he will take it from a cup with a straw.  It's when it's bedtime thats fustrating I started with putting water in his bottle, then putting less and less and now to nothing.  He went from going right to sleep to now crying and screaming for an hour and waking up two or three times in the night, I'm going out of my mind.
LucassMom2006
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 8:17 PM
maybe he doesnt want a sippy at all......just keep giving him the milk in a regular cup even when it comes time for bed it might be the only solution I am going to be starting to wean Lucas off the bottle AND paci here really soon cause he is almost a year and I have a hard time giving him milk in a regular sippy too but I am just going to keep trying and he'll eventually get that there is no more bottle and I would like to have him completely off before his sister arrives in october because I cant BF because of the medication I am going to be taking after I have her.....so FF for her as well i guess.....

jmerz
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 8:40 PM
My first two I just weened them from it slowly.  For the first week I would only give it to them between  meals and at bed time.  For example.  For breakfast, lunch, and dinner I would feed them regular food and give them juice or milk in a sippy then for snacks between meals i would give them the bottle and at bed time i would give them the bottle.  The next week i would give them all the meals with real food and one of the snacks with real food then I would just do that till they got to where they only had it at night and then at night i would put formula in the bottle and juice in a sippy cup and most of the time they would choose the sippy cup over the bottle because juice tastes better then formula.

I also learned that if you only put formula In a bottle and regular milk and juice In a sippy cup only they will usually brake from the bottle easer because again the regular milk and juice taste better then the formula.  My 3rd child broke himself at 11 months he-just didn't want it any more.  This is just my opinion
MommyOf4Girlz
by on Aug. 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM
My daughter just turned 2 last month. I took her bottle away the day before her birthday. I didn't let her see me bag them up. We kept them in a certain cabinet so she knew which one they would be in. I took her to the cabinet which I had replaced all the bottles with sippy cups. I let her see that those were her new "baba's" which is what she called her bottles. She was fine with it. I did my other children the same exact way. The key is too never let them see you get rid of them & never let them see another bottle after switching them over to cups.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)