Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Isn't it the law?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM
  • 29 Replies

So, I took my 3yo to the dentist today and found out he has cavities. Great...right.

We went to see a pediatric dentist cause I knew he would be better with kids, and cause my son loves his commercial on TV.

They were talking about the procedure. Give him something to make him relax and get to work. BUT, parents are not allowed in the room. He explained that the kids sometimes try and have mommy or daddy save them and go leaping for them. Makes sense. So its their policy to not have the parents in there because the kids seem to do better. At first, I was like "uhuh, right, makes sense" and SO didn't see a problem with it either. My ds is very well behaved in that area anyway.

But them, I got home and thought about it. Isn't it California law (and other places too) that parents are allowed to request to be in the room? Or is it different because he is somewhat sedated?

The more I think about my ds being in that room alone with a man I have met once, the weirder I feel and I'd really like to know that I can request to be in the room. I will probably end up going somewhere that does allow me to be with my ds, but now I am curious about the laws. Anyone know anything about this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ Lover to Scott ~~
~~ Mommy to Dustin~~
~~ Expecting in August~~

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyTo2Boyz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:25 AM

I don't know if it's a law, but I sure wouldn't put up with it.  If you're not comfortable maybe try finding a new dentist that will let you go back.

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Parental consent...yes.  Parent in the room...never heard of it.

Surgical procedures are done all the time without parents in attendance.

JAX_Mami
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I don't know if its a law but i know if they are sedated it has to be absolutely quiet so they can monitor him. parents tend to interfere with them doing their job. like you said the kid will reach for the parent or move around.

BUT

D_mom05
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Quoting anetrnlov:

Parental consent...yes.  Parent in the room...never heard of it.

Surgical procedures are done all the time without parents in attendance.

I just thought they can't tell me no, unless I am a serious danger, like with a major surgery.

~~ Lover to Scott ~~
~~ Mommy to Dustin~~
~~ Expecting in August~~

mom22gr8boys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM

i wouldnt let my kids be in there,especially sedated.there are too many perverts in this world.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:29 AM

No its not a California law my pedi dentist did it too. They are just required to have at least 1 other person in the room with them.

D_mom05
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:29 AM

And that absolutely makes sense. I am just a bit paranoid about something other than a medical procedure going on. I am a worrier.

Quoting Andraste:

It's the same way here. They go back alone and the nurses deal with them. If they get too upset, they will come and get you. They figure that having mommy there, worried about her baby will make it worse for the child and make them worry too.

~~ Lover to Scott ~~
~~ Mommy to Dustin~~
~~ Expecting in August~~

Sirenabella
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I have heard too many bad things about kids being in a room alone during procedures. Anywhere from the wrong meds, screwed up doses, restraining the child improperly or cruelly, to sexual abuse. No way in hell would I let my child out of my sight. If the doctor/dentist wouldn't let me in the room or in a room with a window where I could watch I would find a new doctor/dentist.

D_mom05
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Oh yeah, THX for mentioning that. I had forgotten about that.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

No its not a California law my pedi dentist did it too. They are just required to have at least 1 other person in the room with them.

~~ Lover to Scott ~~
~~ Mommy to Dustin~~
~~ Expecting in August~~

juju40
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM

when I took my 7 yr old daughter they let me in just to see what they were going to do with her after that she had to go alone, but at our dentist office the rooms are open so you can see anyway...its common to not have a parent present...

american flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)