Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to prepare for a death in the family? Were in CA there in MI...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM
  • 14 Replies

Well the news came that papa is starting to get ill do to old age and things don't sound good. Mind you there in MI and were currently in CA. MI is a lot colder then here and we have little to no cold weather colthing.

If you were in my shoes would you go buy a few items just to have on hand for the "just in case" or wait and see and scramble later.

My kids have no "dress" clothing and I have lost a lot of weight that my "dress" clothing are way to big. I will buy for myself but what about the kids do I go buy now or wait for the call and buy as we go?

Jenn

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjbabe
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM

If you are able, go get yourself a few outfits. It is easier for us adults to get stuff before its a have to do now thing. We have to try everything on make sure it looks ok so on and so forth. With kids you can go grab something last minute. Sorry to hear that your family is going thru this it sucks I know- been there done that- my thoughts are with you all.

teresa06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM

take it from someone who has had two short deaths in the last year. Do not wait till the last min!!! If you do you will regret it because its so hard to get funeral clothes that you like last min. i hope this get better for your famly....

Katenemsmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Your biggest issue I can see is that cold weather clothing is already disappearing off of store shelves.  I went looking for snow boots for my kids a after Christmas (I'm also in CA) and the only place I could find them were at Sport Chalet and most of their Winter clothing was on sale.  They didn't even have my older daughter's size.  I would buy now, a size (or two) bigger than you need.  That way you can use it next year if you need to.

culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I would start now, I will pray that nothing will happen to your papa but I hate to say this but when the news does come IF IT COMES then emotions really set in  and its hard to get things together, in my family I just lost a niece whom I grew up with she was admitted into a hospital in Aug in MO, and she was transferred out to a hospice in Sept and this is where she passed her memorial were in Nov and she was only 39, but I am telling you this based on my recent experience, PLAN NOW.   I will pray for you and your papa, hang in there.   God Bless.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Thanks ladies we just went threw a family death in April of last year and I'm so hoping papa can make it past April because I don't know if I or my husband could handle it well right now but if it happens I'd rather him not be suffering.

Jenn

MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:43 AM

What do you need? Maybe you can find a few things on here or craigslist (like I have some stuff that me and my kids will not use anymore) just so you don't have to spend a bunch of $$ on stuff you'll use once.

2cute2bemom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I say if you have fam or friends that may happen to have hand me down jackets or sweaters or any cold weather clothing that you may be able to use send them an email and see if they can pull some of their stuff to loan, putting them on notice will save you time and worry later. as for clothes if you needed to refresh your dress clothes any way I say go ahead and do it now. The children dont really need to be dressed up or even in all black just as long as they are tasetfully dressed, they (and you) are cut slack on that front.  I have 3 kids and have had to go to my unfortunate share of wakes with them and I don't necessarily dress them up just dress them well. so hold off on the kids but look into somethings for yourself. Sorry you are going through this hope all works out for you. YOur fam is in our prayers

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Go to a Goodwill, just in case..

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM

If it happens between now and and April kids we'll need

Gloves

Hats

Sweaters

DD will need some skirt/dresses, dress pants and dress shirts (she isn't a girly girl right now so no dresses even in the house)

DS will need some dress pants and dress shirts

I think they have enough jeans and shirts that I can layer on nights were not at the "wake".

Quoting MissAndrea125:

What do you need? Maybe you can find a few things on here or craigslist (like I have some stuff that me and my kids will not use anymore) just so you don't have to spend a bunch of $$ on stuff you'll use once.

jamiesuev22
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:51 AM

We're in Las Vegas and family is in MI when we go my cousin always packs a bag of her daughters warm stuff for us as they are only 6 months apart.  Either that or go to a nice thrift.  That is what we did this summer when we went camping in MI and though it was June it was only 40 up north so a thrifting we went as no stores had winter clothes.  I hope you don't need to do it but better be safe than sorry-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)