Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Formula ?????

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: What formula would you buy?

Options:

Stick with the soy?

Try the gentlease?

other..

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

My son is 25 days old. I have had him on Similac advanced. He was very gassy and spit up a lot.He would cry unless i held him and changed his positions often. So I tried the soy milk to see if it would help...It did help some.

I am out of formula and heading to the store. I really want him on a milk based formula.So will his dr. So i was thinking of trying the gentlease. (  I really hate the smell of the soy formula) Yuck!!!! lol

I am worried about changing his formula to much.What would you buy?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine7902000
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:19 AM
this is something you should talk to your dr. about.
VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM

There is A LOT of research out there showing soy formula is VERY bad especially for boys because it contains a pseudo estrogen so I would avoid the soy formula completely.

LovingMyLoves
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM

wow! really.. I never knew this.. I learned something knew today and it's only 7:23!!! =o) lol

Quoting VerucaSallt:

There is A LOT of research out there showing soy formula is VERY bad especially for boys because it contains a pseudo estrogen so I would avoid the soy formula completely.

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:27 AM

I, personally, would not have any infant, particularly a little boy, on soy.  There are too many uknowns about receiving the hormonal equivalent of 5 birth control pills a day, as well as the long term affects of receiving non-animal milk based protein as the sole source of protein during infancy.
Personally, I'd consult with the doctor about what to try.  I'd stick with the most basic formula possible (standard milk based, without added DHA, due to the unsafe practices used to harvest it.  That statement excludes Baby's Only brand formula.), and switch only if the ped agrees a switch is in order.
My son projectile vomited, up to 15 times a day, so he was quickly put on Nutramigen.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

KendallsMommi
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:28 AM

My daughter was really fussy and gassy .... So we tried her on similac sensitive... Its for fussiness and gas lol. its milk base and lactose free ... She does really well on it , bearly any gas at all ! Its the one that has the orange cap.

deeders949
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Thanks everyone.

My first son is only 14 months old and I went thru this with him. I have a dr. appointment for him in a few days and we will discuss it. I needed to decide what to buy in the meantime.

VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:33 AM

LOL!  East coaster too!  If you google "dangers of soy" you'll get a wealth of information.  It's really scary how the soy industry has been allowed to push high doses of their product when all the scientific studies point to it being very bad for you.  Then again the FDA said melamine was ok until enough people complained about the poison in formula...

Feeding soy to an infant is the equivalent of giving them 5 birth control pills per day.  How healthy can that be?  ESPECIALLY for boys?!

Quoting LovingMyLoves:

wow! really.. I never knew this.. I learned something knew today and it's only 7:23!!! =o) lol

Quoting VerucaSallt:

deeders949
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:34 AM

bump

medinams
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM

this stuff works good. my kids were on neutrimagin (sp) and worked great for them but its so darn expensive. i was paying 200 a month for formula. ouch. but now they have the similac sensitive n i own a daycare n one of the kids r on it n he is doing great on it. good luck n let us knwo how it turns out. i think if u switch it this time to similac sensitive u wont have to again.

Quoting KendallsMommi:

My daughter was really fussy and gassy .... So we tried her on similac sensitive... Its for fussiness and gas lol. its milk base and lactose free ... She does really well on it , bearly any gas at all ! Its the one that has the orange cap.

NikkiPhoenix
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Been there!  We went through 5 formulas!

We are now on Good Start.  It is milk based and the best so far.  DH might need an elemental Protein Hydrolysate formula though, so we might switch to Neocate or Nutragimen. 

Anyway, try the Good Start milk based.  Since it uses only Whey protein and is broken down, it was easier for DH to digest.

You LO might have a milk protein allergy like my son does.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

"If I am not for me, who will be?  If I am for myself alone, what am I?  If not now, when?"  Pirke Avot 1:14

I might not agree with every choice he made, but they were made with true intentions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)