Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So upset with my daughters' Godparents... EDITED!!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM
  • 27 Replies

I think that Dh and I picked the worst people to be our daughters' Godparents.  Neither set of Godparents ever do anything for my daughters.  For Christmas this year my daughters didn't even get a card from either set of Godparents.  Plus last week was my youngest daughter's 3rd birthday and her Godparents didn't even call.

To make matters more upsetting is the fact that DH is the Godfather to my oldest daughter's Godparents daughter.  Even though I am not her Godmother I treat her like I am.  We send her gifts and cards all of the time.  I got her a Christmas gift and even drove 3 hours to visit her during Christmas.  Now her birthday is coing up and her parents (whom are also my daughter's Godparents) are upset because we aren't going to her birthday party.  I have to work that Saturday. 

I just think that it's so wrong of them not to even care about their Godchildren.  I am not asking them to buy my daughters stuff but a nice card or even a phone call would be nice.  Instead they act like my kids aren't even born!!!

I am so sorry that this has turned into has a B*tch fest.  Damn!!  It wasn't meant to be.  All i am saying is that we are all friends and NO I DO NOT want them to buy things for my kids.  I just wish that they would at least act like my kids are alive and mean something to them.  The Godparents pretty much ignore my kids.  It's like my kids aren't even alive!!!  How hard is it to send an email or pick up a phone to say HI to my 5 yr. old?  I know her Godparents are online every single day.  When  my 5 yr. old was really sick and we told her Godparents they did't even ask how she was doing.  It's like they don't care!!!!!!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_10
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:55 AM

we have godparents that don't buy for godchildren.....I know it is difficult, but sometimes things just don't work out because of financial problems and stuff.......hubby and I have several godchildren, and we don't buy for b-days usually, but always at Christmas.....I know how you feel, and some people just don't care.....or they just can't afford it.....Sometimes my kids wonder why they don't get anything from their godparents, but some of them are so used to it..

mom_of_2_in_ny
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

If they get upset with you, why dont you tell them how you feel, in a mature manner of course.   That's ridiculous that they dont even pick up the phone to call or to even send a card. That would upset me too.

Blinkie Maker

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Eh, I haven't spoken to my daughters god mother for over a year. and DH isn't friends with her godfather anymore either. Our son doesn't have godparents. Personally, I think those titles are a waste. I have NO idea who my godfather is, and my godmother refuses to have contact with me or my mom. Great people, huh? Anyway, if it really bothers you, just talk to them about it. Good luck!

kachinav4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Ok I'm not trying to be rude or start anything but u should NEVER expect other ppl to buy anything for ur children. Maybe they don't send out cards for stuff, not everyone does. A godparent is someone who when the parents r gone they stand in to teach them about God, So I'm sorry if u feel like they don't do enough for ur children, but just b/c u buy stuff for ur husbands god daughter doesn't mean all god parents need to.

paigesmommy925
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM

My dd's godparents buy her stuff but they are also her aunt & uncle LOL.  I am my nephew godmother so I obviously buy him things but his godfather was my boyfriend when my sister had my nephew and he doesn't have anything to do with my nephew.  My godparents are my uncle & my mom's neighbor and they used to get me things every once in awhile but not every time.

4kidsandadog
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM

I don't agree with the other postings. If you are expected to do all of these things for their daughter, then they should be reciprocating! Just my opinion. I think they have a lot of nerve to be upset that you can't come to her birthday party when they just ignored your daughter's birthday!

eye rolling

kachinav4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Who said that they expect her to do all that for their daughter. I mean i'm sure that they don't expect it or else they would do the same for her daughter. Sounds to me like OP just goes ahead and does these things, not that it has ever been asked of them they should do it. And i'm not saying that these shouldn't maybe make  more of an effert but it shouldn't be EXPECTED of them.

Quoting 4kidsandadog:

I don't agree with the other postings. If you are expected to do all of these things for their daughter, then they should be reciprocating! Just my opinion. I think they have a lot of nerve to be upset that you can't come to her birthday party when they just ignored your daughter's birthday!

eye rolling

Acid
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I always thought godparents were 'emergency parents'  Somebody to parent your children if for some reason you can't or something hapepns to you or DH(knock on wood).

I didn't think the title included by my kids things, give them gifts and phone them.

My 11 year olds godparents haven't see her since she was 2 years old.  I don't really care...its my job to buy them presents, clothes, toys etc..not theirs.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

mommybug77
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Godparents are a religious matter. They are to help raise your children in the image of god. It has nothing to do with presents. It sounds like you should have laid your expectations out with them better in the 1st place. If you think that your husband is doing his job by lavishing presents then that is between the 2 of you.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I always thought Godparents were the people(not necessarily a couple) who educated your children in religion(hence the term God) in case you're not able to do so.  It has evolved into an "Emergency parent" type choice.  But originally, the Godparent was to guide the child into the faith, whether it's Wiccan, Christian, Muslim, whatever.

I never thought it was a buy presents for your child thing.

My sis & brother are the godparents to my kids. They were the "Baptismal sponsor". 

ninipanini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)