Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's not gaining weight....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son is gonna be 15mons old next week. He is 22lbs & about 31in tall. He was 21 pounds at his 12mon check up. So in the past 3 months he's only gained a pound. I dont remember how tall he was then, I dont know if 31in is tall or not for a 15mon old. He's still in 12mons clothes that he's been in since he was 9mons. when I pick him up his arms are so skinny & when he's naked you can see his ribs. He eats like crazy, he always eats his food down very fast & begs you like a dog for a bite of yours lol. He's very active, always running around & climbing on things. He's got his 15mon check up coming up soon this month, so I'll ask his doc but I just don't know if I should be concern about him not gaining or if it's normal since he's so active. I dont know cus my older DD is very big for her age (she's 3 1/2, weighs 45lbs, 42ins tall & in a 5T...I got one too big & one too small lol). Anyone else have a scrawny LO too? Should I try to "bulk" him up with more fatty food or whole milk (we drink 2% & I'll admit my kids probably dont drink as much as they should)???? I'm a plus size girl, I'm used to trying to loose weight, not gain it LMAO so I don't know what to do! Ok I'm done rambling...someone please give me some advice.

busy momCrystal  margarita time

* Mommy to Madison - 3 & Danny - 14mons

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Crzymummy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM
I would definitely start with giving him whole milk. You could try giving him carnation instant breakfast in between meals. I would definitely talk to the dr. about you concerns. Tammy
MADAmom2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM

bump

mommywillU
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM

My son is two and I remember his pediatrician tellng me at his 12 month check-up they won't gain a whole lot of weight. Maybe 1 or two pounds. I wouldn't worry. I would give him whole milk as the the other mom mentioned and as long as he's getting his nutrients I wouldn't worry too much. My son really chubbed out after 18-20 months.

cinderella22_17
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Every child is different. Is he more mobile now? That was right around the time my dd started to loose a little weight and the doctor just said she was moving around more. Now she is 3 1/2 and weighs 28 lbs and at her 12 months check up she weighed 23 lbs and 9 oz . They just start to slow down on their weight gain. He gained a lb so that is good. If he is eating healthy you should have nothing to worry about.

jbhaleyrn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:28 AM

My 2 1/2 year old son is also very skinny. He's also very active like your little one and you can see his ribs. Mine hardly eats, though. We just took him to the doctor yesterday because he's sick and he only weighs 28 pounds and his doctor wasn't concerned about it. Their weight gain starts to taper off after the first year or so, because if they continued to gain at the same rate, they'd be enormously fat. And my pediatrician has also said he's not quite sure when it became normal for a baby to be "fat" and that forcing them to eat when they're young only increases the risk of obesity when they're older. If you're concerned, talk to your pediatrician....they can always do some bloodwork to see if he's anemic. Good luck.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM

From what I remember it is recomended that kids drink whole milk till they are 2.

Dance13
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:31 AM

my son is like that in a year he gained 6 pounds... when my son turned 1 his doctor told me to give him whole milk.  but it hasn't realy helped my son gain weight. at Age 1 my son was 20 pounds and like 33 inches tall. He is now 2 1/2 years old, 26.8 pounds and is like 36 inches tall. so my son looks really skinny. people think that he is 3 years old cause of his height. but yeah. you might try putting him on whole milk. it might help slowly cause my son is the same as yours always eating but always running so it seems like the food just got straight thru them cause you don't see any of it sticking.

MADAmom2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:13 PM

At his 12mon check up the doctor told me they USED to recommend only whole milk but if I wanna use 2% I could cus Im used to drinking fat free milk & I hate whole milk & I didnt wanna have to buy 2 different kinds of milk but I guess I'm gonna have to now.

Quoting othermom:

From what I remember it is recomended that kids drink whole milk till they are 2.

busy momCrystal  margarita time

* Mommy to Madison - 3 & Danny - 14mons

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)